Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the title, I had to point out that the radio does not powder up when all the cables are connected, and the radio is installed on the bike.

When I sent it to Sierra Electronics, I got it back after being told that they found no problem on the unit, and suggested that the problem is with the radio ground. I have manually installed a ground wire that goes from the mount screws directly to the battery ground, and put everything back together.

When I started the motorcycle, I got exactly nothing. No power, no indication the unit worked at all. I am about ready to pull the unit, turn the space into a "glove-box", and put a regular car radio in the trunk.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Have you used a volt meter to check for power to the connector that the radio plugs into? If no power, you could have a harness issue or a blown fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you used a volt meter to check for power to the connector that the radio plugs into? If no power, you could have a harness issue or a blown fuse.
Well, it seems when I moved the motorcycle over to the garage to allow me to start tearing everything down this morning, I left the keys in it. When I initially tested the radio, I turned the motorcycle into the ON position, and did my checks. THAT was where everything went wonkie. Seems you can't leave the key on for 9 hours without running down the battery.

When I broke out the multimeter, i couldn't find any power on the connectors, so I set to pulling the right side of the bike apart to get to both the relays and the fusebox, but . . alas . . . no blown fuses.

So, I started putting everything back together. That was when I found my keys in the ignition, and pulled them out. Once everything was back together, I got on the bike and tried to start it. Nothing . . . nothing at all! So I popped the right side cover, and put the meter on the battery. WAY too low. So, the battery is now on charge, and I iwll attempt another go at all this in the morning, before the day heats up too bad.

Thank you for responding!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well, it seems when I moved the motorcycle over to the garage to allow me to start tearing everything down this morning, I left the keys in it. When I initially tested the radio, I turned the motorcycle into the ON position, and did my checks. THAT was where everything went wonkie. Seems you can't leave the key on for 9 hours without running down the battery.

When I broke out the multimeter, i couldn't find any power on the connectors, so I set to pulling the right side of the bike apart to get to both the relays and the fusebox, but . . alas . . . no blown fuses.

So, I started putting everything back together. That was when I found my keys in the ignition, and pulled them out. Once everything was back together, I got on the bike and tried to start it. Nothing . . . nothing at all! So I popped the right side cover, and put the meter on the battery. WAY too low. So, the battery is now on charge, and I iwll attempt another go at all this in the morning, before the day heats up too bad.

Thank you for responding!
We’ve all been there before. It’s even more of an issue on the brand new ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts