Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.... new to the forum and I am looking for some direction. Just bought a 1993 Gl1500 Aspencade SE that has been sitting for several years. all dusty and dirty and such. I am a pretty good wrench and am looking for some direction on diagnosing Carb issues. Starts and idles ONLY with choke on and the after warming up some will idle when bringing choke off to a point. NO midrange throttle..... bogs out and will not allow throttle to be gently increased. has good throttle when she gets 'goosed' into hi-RPMs... Have tried carb cleaner, adding Sea Foam to fuel, Replaced fuel, fuel filter and have checked all other fluids and hoses. good vacuum. I am aware that I can get rebuild kits and new diaphram pistons, but want to see if I can do something else before the expense and trouble of taking them off. Thanks!!! https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/images/smilies/rightsidecar.gif

·
Premium Member
10,832 Posts
Sometimes you need to get the manual out and read it well. Also there is a good youtube on pulling carbs on the 1500's. I have just done this for my mate. You will need a day to do this job with long pliers to reach the clamp at the bottom of the carbs. You will also need a long phillips head screw driver to get the clamps on the bottom of the carbs. When the job is finished you will need a flat screw driver to balance the carbs.
Get a mate to help you and have a few drinks after you finish.....................you may need them.:grin2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
With a bike that has been sitting for years, the best thing to do is pull the carbs, take them apart and clean all the jets. After you have the jets out, shoot carb cleaner in all the passages to clean out any crud. Thin wire will help with removing the crud from the jets along with the carb cleaner. Sea Foam can only do so much. It needs to pass fuel through the jet and passage to clean it. If it is blocked, no amount of Sea Foam will clean it out.

While you are in there, replace all the rubber O rings and the accelerator pump rubber. You can still get the O rings from Honda, and the pump rubber as a kit. Also replace the float bowl O ring as well. I replaced the float valves also when I did my 88. You only want to do this one time! It takes some work to get the carbs in and out of this bike.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
All good advice above. We've been through this a few times in our service shop, but it is doable. As Eric mentions, an extra set of hands is a bonus.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just rebuilt the carbs on my warehouse find. It sat for many years. Call me and I'll walk you through it. Send me a pm

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't be afraid to clean the carbs, what you describe sounds like clogged passages and jets, like everyone has said removal and install is the toughest part, Mark all hoses and take plenty of pictures of the removal makes install so much easier. I did mine old school thinking I would remember, that did not work!!?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts