Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got this 93 interstate...16k miles Around 55 to 60 mph, while just trying to maintain speed it feels like it is starving for gas... its very much like when you need to switch over to reserve as the bike begins to loose power. If I give it gas it will learch a little then accelerate smoothly. Anybody have a diagnosis?

Gravelpounder

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
A 93 With only 16,000 on it, it probably still have the original fuel filter, that could be gummed up from age. Replace the fuel filter and run some Sea Foam fuel additive through. Also might want to check the air filter mice love to build nest there could be starving for air. If you decide to change the fuel filter. Check the input and output tubes on the new filter for the little plastic ridge left over from manufacturing sand it off, it can cause a fuel leak.
Just a couple thing to check and try.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
GP,

Hi and glad to meet ya. I am no expert but I have a 95. Don't know your bike's history but vacuum lines and gummy build up in carbs are the most obvious choice. Vacuum lines will collapse and harden. There are some serious 90 degree bends that probably fatique or crack first. If you have this already covered, then move to other responces for better ideas. After carb rebuild, new vacuum lines, sync the carbs and it should run like new as it sounds like it basically is.

Sounds like a great find it's just that rubber only lasts so long.

Again, an opinion from miles away. Others may have other good ideas. Good luck with what you decide to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback. I think the previous owner (#2 I'm #3) did some work on this problem, but not sure what he did. I know he kind of tried to hid the hesitation issue, but anything can be fixed so I wasn't worried. It was priced right $3800. I still kind of wonder if 16,000 miles is true, but I'll just get it smoothed out, change the Timing belt and enjoy. I'm guessing after 4 tanks of gas all with sea foam mixed, that it is gunk in the carbs. It's doesn't seem to have the problem at 70-75 mph. Which is what most of the crazies drive here in Texas.

gravelpounder

·
Registered
117 Posts
A friend of mine had similar issues. He thought it was the fuel pump acting up. REplaced it with one for an Accord and the problem went away for a week or so then came back again. WE got out a meter and checked the fuel pump wiring and found excessive resistance after it ran for a bit. Replaced the wire with better heavier guage and have been trouble free since. BTW 70-75 is a little slow for some hiways here like 31 35 281 290 and 45 to name a few better be up about 75-80 at times lol....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grap electrical? a whole different direction. As old as the bike is and the low miles (if true) I am leaning to gummed up carbs. Does anyone know if I can open the bowls and have a look to see if I can get some idea of how much gunk there might be?

·
Registered
117 Posts
You could still have some trash in the carbs a plugged orfice or partially blocked jet. If your going in that far might as well pull the carbs and drop'em in the vat for an hour. Check your fuel line and vacuum lines too while your in there. BTW my friends ride is a 97 so age and miles weren't an issue with the pump wiring and we reinstalled the factory pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right John, part of the problem is the gas we have to deal with. The refiners are trying to squeeze every drop out of the barrel. I use to work for an oil company; many people think that a Shell or Exxon station sells Shell or Exxon refined gas. Not always, the stations are owned by independent dealers who "fly" a brand but are not bound to purchase from that refiner, they buy from the lowest bidder especially "regular". Most of the refiners only stand behind the octane rating of the premium gas. So GOK's what you get when you fill up with regular.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trike lady, I never new of such a think, pretty cool. I'm in Houston so EPA I think has us pretty committed to alcohol...I can't say about the carbs being synced. I just got this bike, but I can tell the carbs have been worked on, got them off and going to do the rebuild with a Randakka's kit. The last owner tried a couple of thinks but admitted it had the same problem while he owned. I think its is "sat to long" syndrome, I will attempt to remedy that in the meantime I still have my Magna to ride...still love that bike, decided not to sell it. Thanks for the info...

Gravelpounder

1 - 10 of 10 Posts