Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 1500SE. End of riding season last year brake pedal started to get very soft. This spring installed new progressive springs in front and 416's on the rear. While apart changed pads front and rear and greased slider pins. Bled system from front to rear as aways, no air. Still no firmness to pedal. Since the bike is 20 years old the local dealership told be to install a rebuild kit in the rear master cylinder. Done that and bench bled the master cylinder and then the system. Still no firmness to pedal. Checked the thickness of the rotors and found them to be within limits. Checked all lines and fittings with no problems found. Had this bike for 9 years and do my own repair and maintenance and never had this much trouble with the brake system. What am I overlooking? :mad::confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
the left front brake is linked to the rear brake, bleed the rear first the the left front

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Sorry Doc.:eek: Just checked the Honda Manual they say to bleed the left front first then the rear.

Might try this on the foot brake.
Pump it up till it gets firm, hold it there and hang a weight off the pedal and let it set over night.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
Sorry Doc.:eek: Just checked the Honda Manual they say to bleed the left front first then the rear.

Might try this on the foot brake.
Pump it up till it gets firm, hold it there and hang a weight off the pedal and let it set over night.
darn, got it backwards again

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Only checked because I thought I might have been doing it wrong:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As stated in original post, master cylinder was bench bled, as was the system from front to back with mitey vac and by conventional foot pumping several times with no change.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
so what about the calipers, is there a frozen or sticking piston ( s )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the pistons were very clean and pushed in very easy with my fingers when changing pads. There is no drag on the rotors other than normal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a 92 1500SE. End of riding season last year brake pedal started to get very soft. This spring installed new progressive springs in front and 416's on the rear. While apart changed pads front and rear and greased slider pins. Bled system from front to rear as aways, no air. Still no firmness to pedal. Since the bike is 20 years old the local dealership told be to install a rebuild kit in the rear master cylinder. Done that and bench bled the master cylinder and then the system. Still no firmness to pedal. Checked the thickness of the rotors and found them to be within limits. Checked all lines and fittings with no problems found. Had this bike for 9 years and do my own repair and maintenance and never had this much trouble with the brake system. What am I overlooking? :mad::confused:
I have an '89 GL1500. One of the repairs I had made recently was a rebuild of the rear caliper because I went from some back brake to zero. The guy rebuilt the caliper, changed out brake fluids, replaced the pads, and raised the pedal a notch or so - $500 job. He says I need new discs, but that the rear is good 'nuf to pass a state inspection for now. That is, the disc is within spec, but barely so; he says i need a new one to realize the full braking potential.

I now have OK back brakes; I can stop well, but they still don't feel as tight as my Harley UC or the VTX1800 that preceded it, but they stop the bike just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
Well, shoot, Teal. Everything is cool with the rear pedal linkage and master cylinder pushrod?

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
The rubber line(s) might be bad. When they go bad, they will expand under pressure and cause a soft feel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't have a soft feel, I have no pedal what so ever. Will not pump up in the least. Checked all of the linkage, etc, that when I installed the master cylinder rebuild kit.

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
Here is the reason for my reply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts