Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This looks like a great forum. I purchased my first goldwing, a 1991 Interstate with 62,900 miles on it last month for riding on the road. I am not sure how far I want to ride it on trips. I don't like riding in the heat, cold, or rain. Hmmmm. I guess I am a fair weather rider. I live in West Texas and this spring it has been windy, so not much riding.

I bought this one from a mechanic who owned it 7 years, and told me he had taken a trip to Tucson on it. He said he check it out before he sold it to me, and it is supposed to be in road condition. Any tips before I ride it very far?

I am older (66) and weigh 170 lbs. The only thing that scares me about the wing is when I come to a stop. Riding it is a pleasure. Any tips about stopping the monster?

Thanks for any advice for a newby with big bikes. I also own a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 that is a pleasure to ride.

Sigmund

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Sigmund : Welcome from Down Under. You could always join my club called CAT. That is Candy Assed Tourers. Eric

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Sigmund, don't let the "monster" intimidate you, all you need is some miles under your belt and you will be suprised on how nimble the wing is. Lots of smiles and miles ahead.. enjoy.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sigmund,
Welcome to the forum.

I purchased a new 1992 Interstate and rode it thousands of miles without the first problem. You should be able to do the same, 66,900 is mere peanuts for a GL1500.

As for stopping, try looking ahead each time, not at the ground. This simple technique has worked for me since I took the advance riders course years ago. The same applies to curves, look around them, not directly in front of you. Try it, you'll like it ;)
Ride safe

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
that actually kind of funny " i live in west texas but don't like to ride in the heat " :) welcome to GWOF sigmund

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site Sigmund. Tip #1, remember to put your feet down when you stop. (I've seen it happen lots, um, forgetting that is):D

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. My tip would be to go out and ride. Find an empty parking lot and practice slow riding and stopping. You will be amazed at how well it handles. Ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Hello Sigmund,

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Wings! Already plenty of good advice given. The only problems I have seen with the wings is if you are too short! I have a good friend who has a 1988 GL1500 and only stands about 5'-5", he's always picking his up. :(

·
Registered
835 Posts
"As for stopping, try looking ahead each time, not at the ground. This simple technique has worked for me since I took the advance riders course years ago. The same applies to curves, look around them, not directly in front of you."

Excellent advise from fxrshog!

Strat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts