Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the alt on my 96 1500 with a 90 amp alt. Now when I excelorate at at rpm's below 2000 I have viboration. above 2000 the viboration goes away. Replaced rubbers on drive, that help a little for a few hundred miles then it was as bad as ever. Anybody had this problem and found a fix.
Thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I have a Compufire on my 1993 for close to a year and in the beginning it seemed like it was out of balance and then one day the problem went away, almost like the bearings were settling in. I had read somewhere where someone had put shims between the alternator and engine as it had a spacing problem.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Years ago when they first came out with the compufire. So people had the vibration problem and put a washer on each bolt between the alternator and the engine. You have to make sure the washers are all the same thickness to avoid misalignment. The depth of the compufire from the mounting face to the end of the drive impeller seem to be a few thousands longer then stock. Might be your issue maybe not, but it's not hard to try.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Trike Lady & Ron Will give the shims a try this week end. Will let you know how that turns out. Thanks again. Bruce

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron I tried the washers and it didn't seem to make any difference.
Sorry it took so long to reply! Didn't get around to trying the
washers till this weekend.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
You said you "replaced rubbers on drive"......I take that to mean you replaced the dampers in front of the new alt?? If you did....did you put them in the correct way?

I have heard of people putting them in backwards and they get a vibration from it!!!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Give Compufire a call, they might be able to help you.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a compufire on 2 or3 years ago mine did the same thing. I dont notice so much now. used to really bug me. It doesnt seem quite as bad now or maybee I just got used to it. good luck

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have ridden over 2500 mi since instaling 90 amp alt and still have viberation when excelerating below 2000 rpm. Tried the shims wiyh no help! So took them out! So I just keep it above 2000 rpm as much as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts