Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dancing troll:was out riding my 89 gl 1500 one day and once I made it home and shut it down, it wont restart. had stopped a few times with no problems restarting. got caught in the rain and when I got home and pulled up in the shed and hit the kill switch. a few days later went out to ride and all it does is turn over. you can smell gas but it doesn't seem to want to fire. any suggestions on what the problem may be?

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
It takes 3 things to make a motor run. Spark, fuel, compression. If your sure you have fuel, I would check for spark.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
The kill switches on the 1500s tended to be weak. Try turning it from stop to run several times and see if that helps. I've seen them burn up from loose wires also.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
Yes, they will.

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
Yeah, cuts the fire part of the equation.

My bet is the same as Kerry (Cantankerous) mentioned. Clean and work the kill switch first.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
This is why you never use the kill switch to turn the bike off. Always use the key. If the kill switch wears out and goes bad it's impossible to get it started. The Kill switch is only supposed to be used in an emergency.Imagine if this were to happen out on a trip somewhere. No way to start the bike until the switch is either repaired or replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I could not remember if the kill switch shut down the starter or the fire. Been a long time since I had a 1500 and I personally never use the kill switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone for the tips. my next move will be to take the kill switch apart. I'll never come back to let you know what I found.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.