Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
42,000 miles, never dropped,timing belt replaced at 20,000, live in the Colorado mountains, no other bike issues. I ride for maybe an hour - no problems. I'm up around 55 usually calling for power - the bike looses power like a couple of cylinders are shutting down. It can rebound and surge for maybe 10 seconds then looses more power. Engage the clutch, engine dies. Roll to a stop. Turn off the ignition. Turn it on. Starts right up! Runs fine for maybe 15 minutes -starts all over again. Same pattern inevitable - run fine/loose power/surge/loose power/dead/starts right up. First started just after a fillup but have run 2 tanks of premium gas with no change. Mechanic wants to search for a loose wire but doesn't make sense to me with such a predictable pattern. It's dangerous! And I want to sell but not with this problem!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Might try changeing the fuel filter & running some Seafoam thru the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Now I know your Goldwing is not an old car but the sound like how my old car when the fuel pump went. When I climb a hill and you need more gas it would die. There was a small hole in the diaphragm. Under light load there was enough gas, but when you needed more power it would die. By the way welcome to GWOF. Eric

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
I'd check the fuel pump for sure.

The other thing: Are your pilot screws adjusted for higher elevation operation? Involves turning them OUT a certain amount to account for thinner air (less oxygen per cubic foot of air to burn with the gas.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had same exact problem here is what I have done so far and I have an 88 too. Pull off your seat and the top pcs with the radio and all in it. Now siphon out all the gas you can. There on the top of the tank you'll see the nuts to popout the fuel pump and 3 electrical connections, as you take them off make sure nice and clean...now wiggle your fuel pump out but there is a 3/4 inch hose toward the front you must finger off. Now inspect the pump for connection and there is a screen looks like flimsy plastic. Spray it off with some WD or lube. If you hold it to the light you maybe able to see thru it when clean. Now look down in the tank get you about two hand towel and get all that dirt and leftover gas you see in there. Make that tank shines in there. Wipe it down with WD. Now reassemble and don't forget the 3/4 in hose in the front. Not easy to do but it will goes with a finger of grease to slide it on. Put your nuts back on your 3 wires the fuel line that lead up to the filter you are throwing away and putting in new. When you put your gas back in put a piece of cloth in your funnel to catch any sediment you might of siphoned out. Now the diaphram right by the gas cap. The small hose is vac. If you put a T connection in that line with a vac gage hooked up you should be getting something around or above 15psi constant while running. Now get a small pcs of hose and hook to the diaphram suck on the hose lightly forming a suction in the diaphram hold it on you tongue see how long the vac hold if it drops real quick it needs rebuilding and kits are available on internet ebay for 20 buck but if it hold for 2 minutes then its good to go. You don't need to take it apart unless it leaks but if you do remember this, its under spring tension. Visual inspection will work too but not a necessity. Now a possible wiring fix. Under the seat is the green plug wire w/3 leads, unplug and jump the to outside wires together and tape up good. That will be the Green and the red/white wire. This completes a ground sequence for ignition and cruise for the angel sensor. This is something that was on recall years ago and you should see an X scratched in your frame right side that indicates it was done. But that was years ago and the one they replaced it with maybe failing again. What it does is shutdown the cruise/ignition in the case your bike goes down. But if it faults out it prevents power to thru ECM thereby cutting out you coils. Take my word for it you don't need it. But if you think you do go buy another one for 100 bucks tear off your right saddle bag cause thats the part of the frame they mounted it on. I find a 1 inch wire jumper on the green plug much simpler. Now if you get all of this done reassemble and try it again and see if you can get it to cut out again. I haven't had much time to check mine cause I am addressing an oil leaking problem too...Another story

1 - 8 of 8 Posts