Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been having run-ability issues (rough idle, stalling) that i believed, after some troubleshooting, to be an electrical issue. here is what i noticed today while troubleshooting:
the relay... ok, in the relay box, 3 relays at the top, right most one... was very hot after 5 minutes of running. pulled the relay, and it idled better.
pulling the 15A fuse (third or fourth fuse from the bottom) had the same results.
the alternator is very hot!
the alternator also sounds like when a wheel bearing goes bad.

i am guessing that the alternator is bad, looking for other ideas, as i don't think the alternator is easy looking to replace.

Thanks in advance for any help,
~Travis

·
Super Moderator
11,755 Posts
What is your voltage reading at the battery ~2,000 rpm?

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
11,755 Posts
Too low, sounds like it is definitely going bad. Should be at ~14.0 volts

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
11,755 Posts
P.M., oh, wait, "Conversation" sent. ;)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
a quick and dirty test of an alternator

start what ever has the alternator you want to check
pull the positive battery cable..... if it dies.... bad alternator.... if it stays running..... it is working at least that much
just don't let it run for long with the cable off, be ready to kill it,if it doesn't die, it will fry the alternator within a few minutes

·
Registered
121 Posts
a quick and dirty test of an alternator

start what ever has the alternator you want to check
pull the positive battery cable..... if it dies.... bad alternator.... if it stays running..... it is working at least that much
just don't let it run for long with the cable off, be ready to kill it,if it doesn't die, it will fry the alternator within a few minutes
Really bad advice. Pulling a battery cable while the motor is running can lead to all kinds of electrical problems on todays vehicles.

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you need to borrow service manual?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Really bad advice. Pulling a battery cable while the motor is running can lead to all kinds of electrical problems on todays vehicles.

its an 88 not a 2008 or even a 2018, I would not have said to do that to a much newer ride,
for that matter, those booster packs that are the rage to jump start a vehicle these days, can fry all sorts of stuff too

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had an '86 and the alternator was the weak link in those. Had to pull the engine to replace it resulting in a bill of several hundred dollars twenty years ago!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had an '86 and the alternative was the weak link in those. Had to pull the engine to replace it resulting in a bill of several hundred dollars twenty years ago!
The GL1200 is a differnt animal. It uses an internal stator. The GL1500 has an automotive style alternator. It was a huge upgrade when compared to the GL1200.

Reactions: Evrgreen

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have been having run-ability issues (rough idle, stalling) that i believed, after some troubleshooting, to be an electrical issue. here is what i noticed today while troubleshooting:
the relay... ok, in the relay box, 3 relays at the top, right most one... was very hot after 5 minutes of running. pulled the relay, and it idled better.
pulling the 15A fuse (third or fourth fuse from the bottom) had the same results.
the alternator is very hot!
the alternator also sounds like when a wheel bearing goes bad.

i am guessing that the alternator is bad, looking for other ideas, as i don't think the alternator is easy looking to replace.

Thanks in advance for any help,
~Travis
It sounds like the alternator is causing it all ,,,get the compufire if you can it is a 90 am high out put alternator and maintenance free battery .it charges at a low rpm ...i have re[laced a couple alternators on the 1500 and it is not hard to do ,,just get the fins on the alternator in the rubber baffles and it will go right in ..

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have one, thanks for the offer :D

and my Compufire just came via Fed-Ex :D :D

~Travis
Great news. I have a couple different manuals for the 1500 just in case. I never actually replaced one but give a shout (e-mail is best) if you need a hand or moral support.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just finished installing the new alternator, and while it runs better, after an oddly long warm-up, it still sounds like half the engine is running. heads on both sides get hot, so i assume all are firing. but it is really sluggish off idle, and sounds funny. hard to explain, just sounds funny. this bike has so many issues going on, it is hard to tell what is causing what. maybe it just needs a good ride. but as sluggish as it is off idle, i hesitate to get it out in traffic. maybe it is carb issues, but i really hesitate to want to get those out. once it gets past the sluggishness, it revs like a bat out of hell. kinda like the idle circuit in the carbs is fouled.

but on the plus side, my alternator works great. never seen the lights work so good! must have been needing one for a while.

~Travis

·
Super Moderator
11,755 Posts
Did you ever run a half can of SeaFoam through it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Full can followed by a 30-200 mile ride then let it sit for a few days. Then repeat.

There is a carburetor upgrade kit to improve low speed issues. You should check to see if frame is marked. Unfortunately not a recall.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts