Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike was running fine all summer. Took bike out the other day, went to give gas and bike stalled out. Bike will idle however as soon as you give it some gas, it will sound like it getting no gas and stall. I first checked the gas filter. Not clogged. I even ran a straight hose from tank to pump and bike did same thing. How can you tell if it's a problem with either the pump or the fuel pump relay? I want to test the output of the fuel pump as per the shop manual but I don't know where the fuel pump relay is. If the relay was bad, would I get any voltage to the fuel pump? Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Just a dumb question, but you don't have the choke open or stuck do you??

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Since I'm not that up on the 87's I can only rely on what I know about my 93. So, on the 93 there is a fuel shut off valve that is vacuum operated. It is locate just after the fuel filter. If it looses vacuum or which happen at times the rubber diaphragm tears when the throttle is open it does not open up and allow fuel to pass to the carbs.
I heard of guys by passing the valve to get home. But I don't recommend by passing it as a fix. Only to get home or to a shop.
Follow the fuel line from the pump to the filter then between the carbs and the filter is the Vacuum Valve at least on the 93. Also if you fine the vacuum valve check out the vacuum line for leaks.
Hope this helps.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Choke is off. I can see the linkage moving properly. I don't have that fuel shutoff valve that's vacuum operated. Gas flows out tank thru manual shut off valve, into gas filter, into pump, out to carbs. Pretty much straight run.

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
It wouldn't run at all if the relay were bad. Sounds like the pump may be bad, but there are other things to look at first. Try running a hose from the pump inlet to a small can of gas held close to it, if it then runs correctly, you probably have a plugged screen in the tank.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
It wouldn't run at all if the relay were bad. Sounds like the pump may be bad, but there are other things to look at first. Try running a hose from the pump inlet to a small can of gas held close to it, if it then runs correctly, you probably have a plugged screen in the tank.

You could very well be right on the plugged screen.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts