Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend has an 87 that was running very well about 12 years ago when it was parked in a storage shed. The battery was removed and it was kept out of the weather. I dont know much about the bike and haven't even looked at it yet but my friend says he would take $1000 cash for it. What problems will I most likely have with this bike and how much should I offer him? I have no idea of the mileage. I just dont want to buy a money sink and end up putting more into this bike than its worth. Any advise would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first experience with a goldwing.

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
First think is to visually check the bike over. Sitting in a "storage shed" is no guarantee that it's not just a rust bucket. Visual will tell you how much rust, is the seat torn, etc. You can plan on a new battery and tires as well as all fluids (oil, gas, coolant, brake, clutch). Forks may need to be rebuilt due to seals drying out. Carbs will probably need to be checked and probably cleaned along with new plugs. Hoses will need to be checked for cracking (cooling system and vacuum).

If you at all handy, a lot of these things can be done in your garage, but some things should probably be done by a qualified Honda mechanic. Good luck and I hope you find a diamond in the rough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I will be looking at the bike in the next couple of days, ill post again and let you know how it looks. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF bellbrandon83, change the timingbelts too

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you like to work on a bike than you have yourself a project. You can get a nice 1200 in good condition for about $2500 to $3,000 which is probably less than you will have in that one. Parts for older bikes are hard to find and can be very expensive. After 12 years all the rubber gaskets could be dry and probably need replacing, you could find yourself tearing down the motor. Also the 1200 Gold Wings were known to have bad stators, if you get the bike and start to fix it up you might as well replace the stator while your at it, the motor has to come out to replace the stator. Not trying to scare you but just let it be known your in for some work. Oh yea, the gas tank will have to be removed and cleaned also.Your looking at a ground up restoration.
Here is an example

1985 ASPENCADE
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:41:25 AM »

65k FULLY LOADED, EVERYTHING WORKS, WESTCHESTER COUNTY NEW YORK.
JEFF 914-224 2606 $ 3,000.00 OBO TWO TONE BEIGE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts