Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My GL1200 has a problem with low power upon cranking the starter. I put it on my Batt Tender overnight and it holds charge, then the bike starts and runs fine, but after a while if I stop and restart it, it cranks slow then barely just has enuf juice to restart. The previous owner told me he put a stator in it, and a battery, but then it sat for awhile as it needed a cylinder head. I have like 12.9 volts at idle, around 12.2 before starting the bike, and like 13.8 at 3000-3500 RPM, anyone know what volts should be at 3500? Thanks. Im thinkin battery?

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
13.8 should be good enough to keep the battery charged. If it is only starting hard when hot, you might have a bad starter.

·
Registered
691 Posts
No start in the morning= battery
No start after being ran and hot= starter

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 84 interstate acted very similar to yours. With a new battery and charging at 14 volts above 3,500 the charging system was good. What I found was a poor ground ( Rusty ) connection at the negative battery cable to frame. But more important was the brush mounting plate inside the starter had lost its connection and when hot it only got worse. This brush plate is sandwiched between the starter motor housing and the end cap. It gets the ground connection from 3 small tabs that are bent a little to touch the end cap and is pinched between them. I cleaned the tabs and the end cap where they touch and then rebent them to get a better pinch and connection. The brushes are still avilable from Honda so I put in new ones at the same time. Works like a champ now hot or cold. One more critical thing if you do yours, You must securly hold the nut under the cable when you loosen/tighten the outer nut. if you allow the cable or stud to twist you will break the windings away from the stud inside and that is another issue ( Not Good ).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been debating buying one of those starter rebuild kits on ebay. I did that once before on a 3 wheeler (ATC) I once owned. I honestly never thought the starter could be the culprit, but the more I think about it, it probably is the cause.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
My bike does the same thing with starting. I also think it the starter and have already ordered a new starter and while I am at it I am putting in a new stator. But my situation is a little differernt in that I'm trying to fix all problems before using it in the USA. Lonewolftx said it well. Saluhispeed gave good information. Good ground to the starter is always important. Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
starter

having done this very thing a few times I can almost guarantee this is the starter. no start in am battery wise axiom. I can't remember the exact figures for your stator output but it sounds about right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had this problem with several bikes and I agree that it sounds like the starter. My question is, can you get the starter off an 1100 or a 1200 without pulling the motor. So far, the only thing I don't like about these bikes is the fact that you have to pull the motor to work on anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you can pull the starter with the motor in the bike, at least it looks that way. I would be very surprised if not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a newbie to the forum and i have a new to me 87 GL 1200I. i got it a few days ago and the first day i had it i started it at least 8 or 10 times as we had many stops on the way home. It never gave me an issue.
well the next day i got up for work and it started fine and i drove it to work with one stop along the way there as well. got to work and parked the bike. I go to get on it to go home and the battery is at 9V and wont start. I pull the pattery out and go buy a new one as i didnt knwo how long the old battery had really been in the bike.
Got to work this morning with a fully charged new battery and put it in and the bike started fine and i let it run for a while to just warm it up. This afternoon i go out to check the voltage and the battery says 12.69V and so i start it up and its running. I check the voltage and it says 12.11V so i rev the engine and hold it at 3500RPM. the voltage goes up to 12.22V but no higher. this seems low to me. shoudl it not be a lot higher to charge the battery. while revvign at that rPM it never dropped below the 12.22V. Any ideas on what to start checking? I dont have an manuals or anything yet as i just got the bike. I could sure use some direcvtions to look before i try to take the bike on any kind of long trip like i have planned for next weekend. I dont want to get stranded.... Thanks for any help you fellow GL riders can give.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Mike, I posted in your thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts