Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.while seeeping my garage floor I let my bike run outside for a bit it was hot out and after about 10 minutes I noticed it was over heating.the radiator fan was not kicking on ,the fuse by the gas tank is not blown. Where to start troubleshooting? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,592 Posts
The 1200s were well known for the thermostatic fan switch to go bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ten 4. Thank you.I have not yet looked at my manual to see the location. where is it located? Thanks

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's mounted on the thermostat cover. Discontinued part, but some places still have stock.
Partzilla shows 2 in stock.
37760-MB9-000

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
some will transfer over to auto applications, honda likes to use some of the same parts in their cars

just have to have some particulars, temp for switch to activate, what it does when it activates (complete the ground or open the circuit), and the diameter of the threaded part and the tpi.(threads per inch)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys.I removed right lower fairing and located the thermostatic fan switch, pulled the plug off and cut the wires and twisted them together just to make sure the fan itself was not bad,sure enough the fan came right on when touching the two wires.Cant help to think about installing a basic toggle switch and locating it for manual fan function .bad idea? Thoughts? Thanks again.

·
Registered
806 Posts
When I had my '85, I added a manual switch as a backup since there were a lot of these thermo switches going bad. Just wanted to have a way to turn the fan on just in case.
I wouldn't rely on only using the manual switch though.

·
Super Moderator
11,592 Posts
Ditto on what bcihil stated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have used a manual switch on a couple bikes and of course it works just fine you just have to remember to turn it on and then again you can wire it to where it runs when the ignition switch is on but that will shorten the life of the fan as it does not need to run above 30 mph ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts