Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 86 Gl1200 today, paid only $500 for it, pretty decent looking shape, but told it would not run right as it has no power, and the occassional back fire. Previous owner told me he replaced alot of parts, stator, rebuilt carbs, timing belts, and battery after it stopped upon him riding it back from the shore one weekend. Upon my own inspection tonight after alot of disassembly it appears the left two cylinders have no compression, the rights seem fine, all my cylinders have spark though. Im guessing he probably either installed the left belt incorrectly or the left belt caused damage to the valves when the belt broke as he was riding. I went on ebay tonight and ordered a cylinder head complete, top end gasket set, spark plugs and of course new timing belts. Does this sound like a feasable solution/problem, or am I overlooking something that is Goldwing specific? As this is my first goldwing, im kinda excited as this is the biggest bike I've ever owned, after owning quite a few bikes in past and present. I cant wait to get it running and take it out on the road for the first time.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
If the belt broke on the left side you'll need new valves.
How do the pistons look? Rings?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The best thing I can tell you is to be thorough. Since you have the thing torn down anyway, don't leave anything to chance.

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
It's naked!! Put its clothes back on!! ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The belt issue is more than feasible, more likely probable, if the belt broke you would bend valves. Getting a replacement head was a good idea, as long as the seller is honest. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my left cylinder head off tonight, new one arrives tomorrow. The intake valves on both cylinders were bent to the point where they would not close, pistons have no damage at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my new cylinder head on, had to do the belts twice. Thought I had the points aligned, upon spinning the motor once found out otherwise. Realigned them and they are dead on. Luckily I did not start the bike to test this, I spun the crank by hand. Runs like a champ now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts