Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new today to this forum, been watching the site for a while though. I have a 86 gl 1200 i just got from my bro. It has a issue, will not start unless jumped, even with fully charged battery. I just changed the stater connector(the plug by the battery).still had to plug into a charger. Once it starts runs fine. charging 14 volts at low idle, but drops to around 12.7 above 2500 rpm. Is this normal for this bike?? My 82 gl1100 does not act like this at all. Any info would be great.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Might try cleaning all the Battery cable connection including the negative cable where connects to the frame. It's a place to start.

·
Super Moderator
11,938 Posts
The voltage regulator may be bad. I won't say the stator, as it charges at an idle. How many miles on the bike?

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
The voltage regulator may be bad. I won't say the stator, as it charges at an idle. How many miles on the bike?
You took the words right out of my mouth. I just replaced the regulator a few weeks ago. I was having the same problem. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
check both the regulator and the stator, the stator shouldn't produce a charge until 2000rpm, less than 2000rpm you should be running on battery power

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Voltage regulator can be easily replaced cheaply, I'v heard a stator is not so cheap or easy, they say if that connector by the battery fails it will fry the stator, well it was well on it's way. but seems to me if it was bad it not charge at all. So since it is charging at low idle I'm hoping I saved the stator. I believe the bike only has 55,000 on it or at least that is what it says. Really don't know any history on it past a year. A year ago my bro bought it local (Sacramento valley, Ca). The guy he bought it from said he hadn't had it very long, so who knows. I think I will do some more checking before I replace the reg

·
Registered
7 Posts
86 GL1200 Stator

I sincerely hope it does not turn out to be your stator. I gained a lot of knowledge and experience on the GL1200 stator problem when my 86's stator fried last summer. This is a problem that has occurred in a very large number of the 1200's. To have it repaired by a shop is a $1,000 to $1,500 job. Since my bike was an 86 and I have always done my work myself I decided to tackle the job. About $350.00 in parts and 12 or so hours of labor later the job was done. It requires the engine be removed from the bike. Once out of the frame and on the bench the actual stator replacement takes about 15 minutes. This is not a job for the weak of heart but mine has been running well for 6,000 miles since I changed it out. This is one of those 1200 problems that is not a matter of if it will happen but when. The average milage for failure seems to be between 40 and 50 thousand. A simple ohm meter test is all that is needed to tell it the stator is fried or not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BlackBull that is almost word for word what the local bike shop told me today. $1,000 - $1,500 if i take him the bike. Around $500 if i take him just the motor. Around $350 in parts & i do it. If i go as far as to take the motor out myself why wouldn't I finish the job and change it myself?? Any special tool to change the stator?? I hope I don't have to as I'm still testing. I strongly believe in verify then repair. I have a complete shop manual for my 82 I'm sure the test procedure is the same as they use the same stator thru 88 at least. I'm praying I don't need to pull it. But it is what it is. If it needs to be done I would rather do the work. #1 my labor is on me (that & I'm a poor boy). #2 I feel better riding a machine that I know. One reason I think I like my 82 so much. after the crash we got to know each other quite well while I put her back together

·
Registered
7 Posts
No special tools needed. If you would take the motor out yourself it takes 15 minutes or so to remove the stator housing and replace the coil so I would see no reason to send it out for that. I took a ton of digital pictures as I tore the bike down in case I would need some pointers in putting her back together. They helped a few times during reassembly. I looked at them today for the first time in a year and almost cried to see my baby disassembled into a hundred pieces in my shop. I think she forgave me though as she gave me a good nine months of riding since then. I know she is mad at the moment because I just bought a pearl white 2008 GL1800 fully loaded model and put the old girl in a corner until I can figure out whether to keep her for the memories or send her to a new home.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on the 08, nice upgrade!! I feel your pain keep her or let her go?? I have gave that some thought. My 82 and 86 share my shop. I am still working out the bugs on the 86 so I still ride the 82 all the time. Since the 82 and I have a crash history that we have recovered from, I have told myself I would keep her around even if it is just used as my fishing ride. Maybe on down the road who knows (sshhh don't tell her that). But seriously thanks for the advise, at least I got a glimpse of the path ahead!!

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
you could look into getting a poorboy kit for your 1200 wing

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This may be a dee-dee-dee moment, but what do you mean poorboy kit??? what is it??

·
Super Moderator
11,938 Posts
This may be a dee-dee-dee moment, but what do you mean poorboy kit??? what is it??
It's an after market kit that puts a small GM alternator on top of the engine. It's driven by a belt off of the crankshaft. The last time I checked, they were about $800.00.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
It's an after market kit that puts a small GM alternator on top of the engine. It's driven by a belt off of the crankshaft. The last time I checked, they were about $800.00.
you must have someone installing the kit if it cost that much. the last time i checked with don the kit was about $200 but don does not supply the alternator

·
Super Moderator
11,938 Posts
you must have someone installing the kit if it cost that much. the last time i checked with don the kit was about $200 but don does not supply the alternator
Wow, I really fat fingered that! :eek: It was supposed to be $300, as that is what they are listed on eBay for.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to ******* America. I'll have to look into that. still around $300 in parts huh cost about the same to fix it right just gotta pull the motor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back when my stator went bad I researched those alternator hang on kits and found more negitives then positives. Search the internet and you will find plenty of information about them. I may be a bit of a purist but what I saw of the kits seemed to have as many negitives as positives. If you have the time and are not fearful of removing the engine I think it is a better fix. If the age and value of your cycle dictates your decison to hang an alternator on the front end go for it as many others with the 1200 did. I just thought they looked like a big wart on the nose of a beautiful machine.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
Welcome to ******* America. I'll have to look into that. still around $300 in parts huh cost about the same to fix it right just gotta pull the motor
there is no need to pull the motor to install a poorboy kit cause the alternator is driven off the front of the engine

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I followed the book I got continuity between all three stator wires and nothing to ground. book said that's good. My battery is week it drops under load so i'm gonna pick one up tomorrow. I think my regulator is having issues, so my ? is. will the reg work that i pulled off my 82 gl 1100 parts bike. They look the same wiring colors match up. I heard the basically used the same system up about 88. i figured i would swap what i have before blowing $150 on a new reg that what my local shop said

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
As long as that regulator matches up to the needs of the 1200 vs 1100 you should be fine with it. I had a voltmeter on my 1200 and that saved me more than once from being stranded due to a weak or failed stator.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts