Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with my 86 shutting down after it gets warmed up. I have replace the rect. and still have the same problem. I have plenty of power coming from the stator. The stator keeps a steady reading all the time. It's not falling off when the bike shuts down.

Hope help you guys can give me would be great...

·
Registered
20 Posts
By shutting down do you mean suddenly just shutting off? Or, does it slowly shut off by missing, then not running?

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
more info please

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By shutting down I mean... It will be sitting here at about 950rpm and then it will just suddenly shut down. Right before it shuts down it almost sounds like it's mised fired and then it shuts down. If you catch it quick enough you can throttle it to keep it running but as soon as you stop giving it gas it will shut down.

Again thx for any help you can give me....

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it does restart right away I would do all of these things:
1) Replace all spark plugs.
2) Drain carbs - You may have a piece of gunk plugging your idle jet.
3) Put carb cleaner in the bike, let it sit for 2 days after you are sure it is through the entire system.
4) Make sure you have a clean air filter.
5) Make sure your fuel filters are ok.
6) Make sure the vent on your tank isn't plugged.
7) If you have a lot of miles it may be time to do a compression and leak down test.
If it doesn't, I would test the coils to make sure they are ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the bike starts right up.
It don't have a chock it's the SEi model and the bike only has 56000 miles on it. I run Lucus injector cleaner thru the bike every 3 tanks of gas. This problem only starts after the bike has been run and up to temp. At first startup the bike will set and run great for 10-15 min at ideal.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
have you changed the fuel filter? i was riding my '84 wing ( carburetted ) and came to a stop. the bike just died and i thought nothing of it. a few days later it does like yours its idleing in the yard and shuts off again. simplist thing to check was the filter, it was the original. problem solved

·
Registered
470 Posts
As far as the coils go, I had one with a very small crack in it near the top..it was fine until it warmed up. I guess the crack opened up and it was enough to short to ground...might be worth a try to replace the coils? Or, at least have them checked.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Rich
Did this jusst start all of a sudden and had someone done anything to the bike just before it started acting up? Over the years I hhave had several vehicles do the same thing due to a fuel line collapsing internally. The complexity of a Wing can make the simpelest problem hard to find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts