Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got this bike a few weeks ago. i am seeing when i first start bike it smokes a little. once it warms up no more smoking, does anyone know what causes this. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF smiley, thats common for most wings to do

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome :)ly and congrats on your wing, ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
Hi smiley,

How many miles on her? As detdrbuzzard said, it is common, especially with higher miles.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey from Canada Smiley. My '82 did the same thing. I had about 80,000 miles on it and she burned a bit of oil, but my wrench wasn't concerned. Compression was still good and you couldn't stop it with a bullet!
Strat

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Hey, he's 24 years old, he's old enough to smoke..... (oh that for people). Anyway, you might want to leave the bike on the center stand and see if it still smokes on start up. It may be when the bike is on the side stand that oil is draining to one side causing the smoke upon startup. Just a guess IMHO..... Keep and eye on oil level and go riding and enjoy your bike.

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
smiley, I just want to say Hi since some of the guys have already chimed in on your question. I someday am going to get up in your state & ride. I've heard it's really quite nice.

Welcome aboard & Ride Safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the oil level is too high it will usually smoke at startup because the oil leaks past the piston and rings. Since the engine is horizontally opposed two of the cylinders can trap oil in the combustion chamber when the bike is on the sidestand. I keep my oil level just below the high level mark and never have a problem with smoke at startup.

Vic

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
If the oil level is too high it will usually smoke at startup because the oil leaks past the piston and rings. Since the engine is horizontally opposed two of the cylinders can trap oil in the combustion chamber when the bike is on the sidestand. I keep my oil level just below the high level mark and never have a problem with smoke at startup.

Vic
And make sure to check the oil level with it on the main stand, not the side stand. You will overfill it by about a quart if it is on the side stand! Trust me, I know. :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Guys, this is not really relevant to any of these posts but just thought id share this with you.I have a Silver 06 ABS comfort /pack ( I think that's what the book said ha..ha..)and i just love it,but it looks like i have started something. All my riding mates are chomping at the bit to get a wing as well.I have been keeping an eye out for "wings for sale" with a view to steering my friends towards them,and i found one today,which is a bit hard to believe. Its a 1991, one owner bike with "47 Km" on the odometer !!! It looks brand new, as you would expect with that mileage.My friend is going to have a look at it tomorrow and i can't wait to hear the story about how it has only got 47 km on the clock.Would that be good for a bike ? would you have to be careful about buying something like that ? If it has been sitting in a shed somewhere for years there could be potential problems attached to that, couldn't there ?I'd be interested to hear some of your thoughts about this, as a lot of you seem to be very switched on in the ways of all things Goldwing.
Cheers
Graham from downunder

·
Registered
2 Posts
I googled this site to ask this same question. I've had my '86 for about 18 months and put on 10K miles. It never smoked at all before yesterday. Made a 10 minute stop and it rolled out a cloud of white smoke that made me think it was on fire. Started and stopped 2-3 times after that and nothing. Started this morning and got some white smoke but cleared after a couple minutes. It has cooled off around here the last few days-down to mid 50's. Could that have something to do with it? Love this old bike!!

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Doug Gustar
Never used Seafoam but I knew people who did and had problems, but if you want good products for long term fuel storage go to a place where they sell stuff for boats, use Marine grade Stabil, Sentry or Startron.
My 1500 will blow excess fuel out the exhaust when using the choke and then it goes away as the bike runs.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
U.S. motorcycle with its technological content is low, speed and celebrated. Actually, this can save many motorcycle accessories. wholesale nfl jerseys United auto companies use of lightweight carbon to replace the car almost every metal parts. Company specially invited professional Foraxis industrial design company help making new parts, Authentic NFL jerseys.eventually grandlyhas promoted the B91 "ghost" light weight, only 17 kilograms.
It appears we have another one in our midst. I loathe s******s!

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
U.S. motorcycle with its technological content is low, speed and celebrated. Actually, this can save many motorcycle accessories. wholesale nfl jerseys United auto companies use of lightweight carbon to replace the car almost every metal parts. Company specially invited professional Foraxis industrial design company help making new parts, Authentic NFL jerseys.eventually grandlyhas promoted the B91 "ghost" light weight, only 17 kilograms.
What does this have to do with the topic?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Actually it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I'm told it's bearable in a fry pan with a couple eggs though. Personally, I'd have to be awful hungry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts