Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I've got an 85 LTD that's clean as a whistle but just quit on me about 2 yrs ago(electrical of course):(. I loved that ole bike. In a lot of ways I liked it more than the 07 that I currently ride. I can't find anybody that will work on her:mad:. I have been offered $500 but I've got way more than that into her and I know the damn side covers are $100 apiece!! The motor is tight as it can be, not burning a drop of oil and never been "cracked". Sooo, what's a "fair" price.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I wish you were in Florida, I could get your Classic Wing running again.
Sell the bike in it's entirety as someone would buy it, I've seen beat up high mile GL1200's selling for $3500.00 and in need of a lot of work, but then I've also seen some fixer uppers for $1000.00.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're hoping to figure out why it quit running, I have a suggestion. Look under the trip computer. There is a large electrical connector mounted on the frame, in addition to the three electrical connectors hanging off the trip computer. Make sure the large connector is seated well and has a solid connection. If it is loose, nothing electrical will work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Trike Lady

I wish you were in Florida, I could get your Classic Wing running again.
Sell the bike in it's entirety as someone would buy it, I've seen beat up high mile GL1200's selling for $3500.00 and in need of a lot of work, but then I've also seen some fixer uppers for $1000.00.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I figured that $500 was a ridiculously low offer. I'm seriously contemplating bring'n her to your "wrench turner" this summer if he/she really can bring her back to life. Ya think you could get a ball park figure on totally rewire'n her? Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Patton57

If you're hoping to figure out why it quit running, I have a suggestion. Look under the trip computer. There is a large electrical connector mounted on the frame, in addition to the three electrical connectors hanging off the trip computer. Make sure the large connector is seated well and has a solid connection. If it is loose, nothing electrical will work.
I appreciate the tip Patton57. However, when she quit run'n I did what I could do, which isn't much lol, to rectify the problem. I replaced the coils, plug wires, plugs and cleaned all the wire connections that I could reach in the fairing, under the seat, and back to the trip computer - all to no avail:(. Thanks a bunch for the tip though.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Don't give up on it yet, there's alot of life in the old girl I'm sure. Um, you have lots of battery juice right? Likely something simple but easily overlooked if it's not the stator.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Robin,
Did the bike suddenly loose all electrical functions at once (lights, starting and ignition)?
Does the starter run and attempt to start the engine?
Under the travel trunk is a box (Computer) with indicator lights, those lights have a pattern and they tell what is the problem area. It works like the MIL light on present day Wing. If the bike has power the lights will have a pattern.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I'm wondering if the Computer didn't loose ground or power?
It's something simple and a bad ground can be a start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a bunch for the suggestions folks!! :( Nah, she's still a "Sleep'n Beauty". The trip computer shows several possibilities, one of which was "angle sensor". Maybe one day I'll have a shop in which I can turn her into a hobby and rewire her :eek:. I sure would like to bring her back to life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts