Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an 85 LTD. Nice bike! $4200 Buck a rooneys. Anyway, what are the best cleaning products to use so I don't mess up the windshield and the painted bags? I also need to shine up some chrome. I know there are lots of products out there.
I have used the Novus 1,2, and 3 on my 2006 VTX 1300R and Brasso on the chrome.
What to put on the windshield for cleaner and protectant? Whats good for rain? I heard rain X is a no no. Maybe a wax?
In the past, I have had GoldWings; 75, 83, and an 85I. I just got back into riding after 13 years abroad. I will re-join GWRRA.

Much thanks,
John P. Rooney
SCRC Greater Raleigh, NC #70

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello roondog, welcome to GWOF

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome along roondog! Larry has a couple good products listed. I use Plexus on the windscreen but good old Pledge works too. I use Meguires Gold Class when I wax, and also the Pro Honda spray cleaner & polish when I'm just doing a quick shine on the bike.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, enjoy the fun.
Looks like you got some good advice going above.
Welcome again.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. I use Plexus on the whole bike. Not cheap, but is quick and does a good job..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome to the old wingers club from Vermont!!!!! Hehehee!

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Greetings roondog, Good group of 1200 guys (a couple already chimed in) here so your in good company. Enjoy the site & Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Welcome from Down Under. Only just got my 1200 as well. Tell us of your first impressions. Eric

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone,
You know, I don't remember having to bring my legs so far back into the bike for the brake and shifter. LOL Getting older I reckon. Is there any aftermarket kits for forward controls? Hmmm.....
Plexus? Where to buy that? I remember now I used to use pledge on my 85 Interstate. That was when it was pretty new. This ole 85 LTD has got some light scratches like scuffs on the side bags mostly. Anything good for that?
Looking for something to cover up the corner chip out of the trunk lid, right around the corner. Any suggestions?
And....left mirror rubber has a split in the middle. Noticed that when I drew it back to spray some WD40 to get more movement so I could see the left lane. Is there a place to buy the rubber or would I have to get the whole mirror assembly?
What is a good place to get some front speaker covers? ne of the tabs broke and I taped it. Also, the speakers don't look weatherproof.
Sorry to ask so many questions. Ya'll have been a great help. I'm gonna ride tomorrow to work for the first time. A wee bit nipply but thats ok. This weekend I will park her outside for a photo shoot. It also seems the kickstand isn't too strong as she leans more than what I think she would.

John Rooney

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Welcome roondog,
Congrats on the Classic Wing. Take care of it, as it is only one of 2000 made. You are the proud owner of Honda's first fuel injected Goldwing (CFI).
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your kind words and for everybody's help and advice. Actually, I don't know how many 85 LTD's were produced. I heard 5000 of them.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Thanks for your kind words and for everybody's help and advice. Actually, I don't know how many 85 LTD's were produced. I heard 5000 of them.
There were 2000 1985 Limited models and 2500 1986 Aspendcade SEi models produced.
I have history books on the Wing and they list the production numbers for those two models plus the very rare and highly desirable 1976 GL1000 Limited again small production numbers.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Some help!

Thanks everyone,
You know, I don't remember having to bring my legs so far back into the bike for the brake and shifter. LOL Getting older I reckon. Is there any aftermarket kits for forward controls? Hmmm.....
Plexus? Where to buy that? I remember now I used to use pledge on my 85 Interstate. That was when it was pretty new. This ole 85 LTD has got some light scratches like scuffs on the side bags mostly. Anything good for that?
Looking for something to cover up the corner chip out of the trunk lid, right around the corner. Any suggestions?
And....left mirror rubber has a split in the middle. Noticed that when I drew it back to spray some WD40 to get more movement so I could see the left lane. Is there a place to buy the rubber or would I have to get the whole mirror assembly?
What is a good place to get some front speaker covers? ne of the tabs broke and I taped it. Also, the speakers don't look weatherproof.
Sorry to ask so many questions. Ya'll have been a great help. I'm gonna ride tomorrow to work for the first time. A wee bit nipply but thats ok. This weekend I will park her outside for a photo shoot. It also seems the kickstand isn't too strong as she leans more than what I think she would.

John Rooney
I took some tape and formed it around the corner of the trunk lid lip, then I took JB weld and filled the corner, let it dry and used a dremel tool to get the excess off . It is not a perfect repair but good enough till I get another matching trunk!I used touch up paint close match to my color. I have chrome covers for the speakers, I drilled holes that match the holes that retain the speakers in only 2 places diagonal then used the chrome caps to cover bolt heads. I bought Pyramid 4.0 round Marine speakers and modified them to fit in the dash. As far as the mirrors go you can shop around online and find a set for about $50.00 brand new.
Here is a link to a site http://gl1200goldwings.com/index.php GL1200 lots of good info there!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
very cool, thanks. Where can Ii find the spot to see the reg # and where to go to see what number mine is? Were they all made in one place?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
All the 1200 Goldwings were produced in Marysville Ohio and all future GL's from then onward up unitl the completion of the 2010 model run. I believe the '83 1100's were also produced there, but my memory fails me a bit on that front. The VIN tag should be on the front of the steering head and unless I'm totally daft, the last four digits should give you the production number of your bike e.g. JH2SC51217M500076. the 7 before the"m" designates model year and the 0076 indicates the production number. In this case, my ST was an '07 and it was the 76th unit produced of that particular model, JH indicating the bike was made in Japan. My '09 1800 has an HF designation at the start indicating it was made in the good old USA.;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks. My Vin # is 1HFSC1465FA115223 Does that mean my bike was the 5,223rd one? I don't know exactly how many were made of the 85 LTD's

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have a link that shows the production for the LTD? I read a post that the last four of the VIN shows the production number for that model and my last four are 5223. Now I am confused.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts