Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1985 Limited Edition. It had 60,612 miles on it. In the last few weeks, I have put over 1,000 miles on it and it ran great, until yesterday. I would ride along, then suddenly the fuel system light would come on, and the engine would die. I was hardly able to get it home. When it would die, I would have to leave it shut off for a minute or two, and then it would start back up, for ever shortening periods of time. First for a few miles, then a mile, then half a mile, etc. I changed relays 4 and 5, at first seemed that may do the trick, but then back to the same thing. I did notice, that when it dies, relays 4 and 5 click on and off. This is making me think the fuel pump is fine, and that it is the fuel pump shut off switch. Does anyone know where that switch is located? I want to bypass the switch, and perhaps hook the switch up to a light on the dash so if the switch does misbehave, a light will flicker proving the switch bad.
any thoghts appreciated.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
another message sent tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I found the switch. It is under the faux tank, front and center behind the triple clamp. I have NO idea where the wires go! Storms are coming now, we have windy conditions, I will look at it later when I have more time. I ordered an air cleaner, (K&N), and that should be here hopefully this week, so I am in no real rush now that I know where things are. I do plan on doing EXTENSIVE bench testing of the switch before I go making any changes. I do know that the guy in the service dept at the Hond dealer told me there was a recall on that switch on the 1500's. Hit a bump or anything, and it would kill the motor. Mine will kill the motor with it sitting still, so not sure if this will be it or not. Test, test, and test some more!
Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I bypassed the switch, even though I was unable to 100% prove it to be the problem. I sent over some jumper wires, with in line ATC fuse holders. I plug the fuse in one, and the switch is bypassed. I plug it in the other, and the switch is wired normaly. I also made a jumper wire, so I can unplug my fog lights and plug one end into the flog lights and the other end into the by pass wire to efectively "hot wire" the fuel pump. I wanted to have all bases covered. I just put well over a hundred miles on the bike and nogt so much as a hick up. Nice when things go well.
Oh, while I had the bike torn apart, I re-did some of the wiring that had been added by previous owners. Wires are routed much nicer now.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
let me know if you need a hand doing any work on the wing and i'll stop by and help

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer, just may take you up on that sometime!
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
i am having a similar problem with the fuel system light. when i drain the fuel filter it seemes to go away for a while.when the light comes on the computer under the trunk shows an error. please let me know what you did to correct this.my email is [email protected]. any help is appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts