Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the saga continues.

I replaced the battery with a new Magna Power ETX.

The next day or maybe two I wanted to check the voltage draw during start. I left all battery connections in place then I placed the voltmeter postive cable to the battery positive post and the voltmeter's negative cable to the battery negative post. I then turned the key and pressed the start button.

The bike did not start and the starter solenoid only makes a clicking noise each time the ignition button is pressed equalls one click.

I removed the battery and took it back to the store for testing the battery tested as A OK.

Now I have a bad solenoid???

I know how to bypass/short a car starter solenoid.

How does one test an 85 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade's starter solenoid?

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
AS I'm such an electrical doofus I can offer only this: make sure all connections are clean and tight. What did your voltage meter read during the test?

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Well, Prof, you can always install a "Sturgis Solution" like I did!:eek: Photo below. I'm still running on it and will replace it with a proper starter solenoid over winter, one purchased from fellow Forum member Cantankerous. Actually, the lead mechanic at PM Parts & Service in Sturgis told me he did the same thing on his girlfriend's Honda and she sold it 5 years later with it still installed.

While we wait for the smart folks to show up....:eek: Does everything electrical appear to be fine when the key is turned on? If so, your main fuse (open the little cover on the front of the solenoid) should be OK, and a GENTLE cleaning of this 30amp wishbone fuse is a good idea. Clicking of the unit also suggests that the switch (the two smaller wires of the four total) is doing it's job. Before throwing parts at it, I'd clean and inspect the terminal block on the solenoid with contact cleaner, let dry, and reconnect.

If this does nothing for it, I'll recommend something really goofy: Put the bike in 1st gear and roll it forward or backward a bit (pull the plugs if you need to) and try it again. If it works, I'll explain why.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
You can check the solenoid by using an ohm meter, disconnect the battery side of the solenoid and put the leads of the ohm meter across the two large terminals, it should read open, push the start button and the solenoid should engage showing zero ohms. Another way to check if it is the solenoid is to disconnect the battery side of the solenoid and "firmly" touch it to the starter side of the solenoid, the starter should engage, make sure you have the ignition switch ON, the bike should start. If the starter does not engage then you have a starter problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Again, try tapping on the solenoid and then try starting. If it works then, you need a new solenoid.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New battery putting out 490 CCA New starter solenoid only goes click with each pressing of the start button.

What next?

Never NEVER believe anyone who tells you all you have to do with an 85 Gold Wing is lay her on her right side undo a few nuts and change a rear tire.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Did you try any of the things suggested above by Terry and the Tanks.?????

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Folks I do believe the saga is over.

I decided that I wanted to see if the starter was getting any electricity as the relay seems to be working. I placed the meter's negative onto battery negative and then I placed the meter's positive onto the left side bolt of the starter.

Turned the ignition key - no power yet. Pressed the start button and wallah!!!

She almost started then it happened.

Lots of black curly stinky smoke.

I guess the starter is burned out. According to Clymer one has to pull the engine to replace the starter.

I am going to have GWRRA trailer it over to my church next week, where we have a small bike repair shop, and it is my guestimate that she is down for the remainder of this year. :(

Anyone know of a reliable 2001 or newer Gold Wing for sale? LOL

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Terry,

Oh my God you have allowed me the opportunity to smile again and possibly even ride before all of the leaves on the Blue Ridge Parkway have changed.

I cannot thank you enough for your insightful link.

Most all of us have heard the addage: If momma is not happy no one is happy. Well for me it is: If my bike is down then I am down and nothing is going to change it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.