Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have solved all of my previous elctrical challenges on this bike.

Now I have found that I cannot break the bead on the front tire I want to replace nor can I take the upper sleeve out of the lower sleeve so that I can rebuild the forks.

I removed the fork without challenge and additionally was able to remove the cap nut off of the upper sleeve. Success with removing the dust cap.

However, when looking inside the lower sleeve I can see a rubber item and on top of that a rusted "ring" or I assume it is a ring.

I cannot remove that ring nor can I with forceful jerking motions remove the upper sleeve from the lower sleeve.

Any and all guidance will be appreciated.

Professor

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have solved all of my previous elctrical challenges on this bike.

Now I have found that I cannot break the bead on the front tire I want to replace nor can I take the upper sleeve out of the lower sleeve so that I can rebuild the forks.

I removed the fork without challenge and additionally was able to remove the cap nut off of the upper sleeve. Success with removing the dust cap.

However, when looking inside the lower sleeve I can see a rubber item and on top of that a rusted "ring" or I assume it is a ring.

I cannot remove that ring nor can I with forceful jerking motions remove the upper sleeve from the lower sleeve.

Any and all guidance will be appreciated.

Professor
Hi Prof,

Glad to hear you nailed all your electrical gremlins!

You're looking at the fork seal with a metal washer on top of it that's all held in place with a snap ring. You'll need snap ring pliers with fine points to compress that ring and work it out. After that, it'll all come apart pretty easily. Did you get a manual yet?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tatanka,

Thanks for the knowledge/advise I will search for a tool to remove that slipring tomorrow.

I have the Clymer manual and the GL1200 Electrical Trouble Shooting Manual and I recently purchased, but have not yet received, a Honda GL1200 Shop Service Manual 84 85 86 87. Do you have any other manuals that you might suggest?

Professor

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Excellent! You should be all set with those manuals, plus the help of Cantankerous, Doc, Eric and others more knowledgeable than myself here on the GWOF.:grouphug:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Once you get the wiper off you should be looking at a circlip over a washer that holds the seal in. Once you get that clip off use the outer fork leg like a slide hammer and jerk the two halves apart. Assuming you've removed the bolt on the bottom first. Once that is done they come completely apart. Reassembly may require a special tool to drive the seal into place.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,

What I was calling a slipring is termed a circlip by Clyner. One end of the circlip was broken when i took it apart yesterday the other side (with a hole )broke this morning. Three hours of praying and prying and the circlip was removed.

Of course neither Honda dealer locally have the circlip so I have ordered two of them , one for each fork.

The Clyner diagram of the forks also show what they are calling an oil seperator that is placed between the two springs. Mine wasn't there and the Honda dealer cannot identify the part needed so they can also order two of them. ???

Ten days ago I ordered two throttle cables as I did nto like the shape the others were in. Those cables aren't here yet!!!

Can one spell frustration? I think it might be spelled Professor LOL

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Prof,

Those snap rings/circlips do tend to blow out when they've rusted. Glad you were able to get it out nonetheless.

That "oil separator" is a glorified washer. Any chance Progressive Springs might be in the budget? Next time I'm in there* (just did mine last May) I'll get rid of the two spring crap and put in Progressives. I'll bet somebody here can send you an "oil separator" or two if you want to stick with that.

*Oh yeah, I'll be on a GL1500 before my forks will need attention again!:icon12:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the term Progressive Springs but do not understand the plusses and/or minuses of changing.

Perhaps someone could try to teach an old dog new tricks? :)

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
I know the term Progressive Springs but do not understand the plusses and/or minuses of changing.

Perhaps someone could try to teach an old dog new tricks? :)
You can check out Progressive Suspension, who is a site sponsor. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...nsion</SPAN>&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13613265698954 I copied this link from their mention on the Forum page, but it send you to Ebay for some reason.

Basically, they are one piece springs that progress from smaller/lighter to larger/heavier. Others here who have them can chime in. Never heard a bad review yet on them.

Can an old dog teach an old dog new tricks?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the Progressive link you supplied me with.

Unfortunately, at this time, they are outside of my budget. I have/am investing a lot of time and money into this Gold Wing already trying to improve her "throne", add electronics that I want and prepare it for the summer of 2014 when we hope to do a lot of high mileage trips with her.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
I checked the Progressive link you supplied me with.

Unfortunately, at this time, they are outside of my budget. I have/am investing a lot of time and money into this Gold Wing already trying to improve her "throne", add electronics that I want and prepare it for the summer of 2014 when we hope to do a lot of high mileage trips with her.
Well, the "throne" is very high priority for long trips. As far as the springs, you can't miss what you never had.

Anybody got some fork "oil separator" washers/spacers for this gentleman?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The news from Honda in Winston-Salem, NC is that Honda nor any other part distributors they can locate have the oil separator anymore.

Sort of like me a defunct dinosaur. :)

Can anyone tell me what to expect not having this separator and rebuilding anyway? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy the progressive springs?

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
The news from Honda in Winston-Salem, NC is that Honda nor any other part distributors they can locate have the oil separator anymore.

Sort of like me a defunct dinosaur. :)

Can anyone tell me what to expect not having this separator and rebuilding anyway? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy the progressive springs?
You don't have to buy progressive springs to get this done, though I would double-check Ebay or whatever for some at a good price while you've got those forks apart.

The "oil separator" is a glorified washer. It is simply a platform between the lower smaller diameter spring and the upper larger one. I would not run forks without something between the springs, even if it's an off-the-shelf washer from Home Depot. Just smooth the outside of it really smoove so you don't scratch the inside of the fork tubes. You'll be OK.:icon7:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honda of Winston Salem, NC informed me two weeks after waiting that these "oil separators" fancy words for an oversized washer could not be had anymore.

So, I ordered progressive springs for the forks. A week later despite me telling them not to ship me anything except the circlips first ordered, all of the parts - including those that could not be had, were sent to me EXCEPT the first item ordered - circlips.

I ordered the circlips from someone else and have since put the bike out on the road.

BUT, I am not comfortable with it. Something is wrong??? I also had the front tire replaced at this time and gave the man balancing beads to place in the tire. I don't know if he put them in or maybe he put them in when the tire bead was wet but my steering is not right.

I use to be able to let go of the bars and remain steady and true. now if I even remove one hand I feel the handlebars shake. Yet I do not feel it when I grab the bar with both hands? Let go with both hands? Only if I want to loose control within 20 feet. ???

Maybe I did not rebuild the front end correctly, I just don't know. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.