Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I had the stator replaced on my 85 GL1200 LTD. When re-assembled the wires to the regulator were frying / melting the insulation. ?? The mechanic said he thought the problem was the "magnets" in the flywheel(?) (that spins around the new stator). Has anyone heard of this being a cause of charging / over-charging problems? If this is BS, what can I do to cool things down, get it charging correctly and get this bike back on the road? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,614 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Did the regulator/rectifier get replaced when the stator was replaced?
There are two different stators and its easy to order the wrong one. There is one specifically for the Limited/SEi and reg/rec.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
350w ststors are for the interstate, aspencade, and nekked wings. 500w stators are for the ltd and sei wings. most often it is the connector that goes bad causing the stator to fry

·
Premium Member
24,517 Posts
I'd bet money it isn't the magnets. Like trike lady andthe good doc says make sure you had the right stator and that the connectors aren't the issue. Those connectors:ThumbsDown: are just bad news IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Magnets?:bsflag:

I'd get away from that dude as fast as possible!

Trike Lady! Trike Lady! Where art thou?

My dum-dum read is that the stator is working, hence enough current to cause problems. Next is the connections as Budoka said. Current with nowhere to go becomes heat. Again, in my simple-dimple world.:dull:

·
Super Moderator
7,614 Posts
Here's my

The regulator/rectifier does two jobs; first it turns the AC current into DC which the systems need (rectify) and then regulates the DC and sends the excess off as heat to ground.
Bad connections they generate 'Resistance' and plastic connectors get 'Roasted'.
Stators for the 1200 there are two and they have matching reg/recs.
One is for the carb GL1200 and the other is for the CFI Limited/SEi. Someone in a hurry could have ordered the wrong one and put it in and now there is a problem.
I know a gentleman who bought a 1986 Aspencade SEi and it would kill the reg/rec, it was discovered that the shop installed the undersized stator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.