Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 GL1200 Aspy 50,000 miles dies while riding down the road. I have owned this bike for a year and a half and it just started doing this. I drove down the highway about a mile and the engine just shut off. After about 5 minutes it started and I drove about 5 miles before it died again. I let it sit for about another 5 minutes and it started. I then drove it 80 miles with no problem. It set for about 4 hours. Then on my return trip home I got about 5 miles and it died again. A few minutes later it started again and I rode 80 miles back home without any problems. Today I started out and got about a mile down the road and it died again. I got it started and brought it back home. I have started it in the garage and let it idle for 10 minutes at a time and it runs perfect. I don't think it is the kill switch. When the motor is running and I turn off the kill switch I can watch the RPM's go down until the engine stops. When the engine shuts down on the road the RPM's go to 0 even though the engine is still turning as it coasts to a stop while in gear. I have ruled out the fuel filter because of the RPM's not showing when the problem occurs, so I'm pretty sure it is an electrical problem. With so many wires and connectors on this bike I don't have a clue where to start looking. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think the two most likely culprits are the main fuse and the ignition switch contacts. The main (dogbone) fuse is notorious, especially if it's the original. They get brittle with age and can develop cracks that may not even be visible, but open up with heat. Do yourself a favor and replace it with a fuse holder and blade fuse.
I had a similar problem with mine and it was worn contacts on the ignition switch. I was able to get a new contact base from the local dealer. It was a trick getting the switch out (you need a long extension and some patience), but the fix itself was fairly easy. Replaced the switch base and no more shutdowns on the highway at 65 mph!

·
Registered
52 Posts
In the event you issue is not electrical try cracking open the gas filler cap. I had this same thing happen to me on another bike, the vent was plugged and the main tank was running a vacuum after a few miles. The symptoms were very similar to yours. Hope this helps.
P.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
WW, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Looks like the guys have given you some good places to start looking. Hope you get it resolved. Lots of great riding weather coming up. Ride safe and enjoy the site..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
85 Aspy dies

I have looked everywhere for a dogbone fuse. Everything I have found has been a blade fuse. The main fuse compartment has all blade fuses and under the left pocket there are 2 blade fuses. Where would I look for the dogbone fuse? I figured since you said it was the main fuse it would be around the fuse box or battery. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just happened to think, a rarity, I don't loose total power. The lights are still working and my digital dash still lights up so I don't think it could be the main fuse. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just happened to think, a rarity, I don't loose total power. The lights are still working and my digital dash still lights up so I don't think it could be the main fuse. Am I wrong?
Nope, if the main fuse were going you'd lose everything. BTW, not sure about the 85, but on the 84 it's under the left side cover to the right of the battery). If the engine is dying and the dash is lit it's something else. Short in the ignition system, pulse generator. Intermittent electrical problems are tough to diagnose. I'd start with checking every connector and wire you can get to. Look for corrosion, bad insulation, melted wires, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have checked all of the connectors under the left and right pockets and around the main fuse box. I am going to remove the front plastics and see if I can find anything there. Everything looks OK so far. If I don't find a bad connector or wire in the front I'll check the ignition switch and as a last resort the pulse generator. Thanks for your help. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2002 goldwing just started funny thing there is still power but the trip odometer and clock reset as if the battery was disconnected!
Pulled off the road waited a few minutes checked all switches and started back up for a few minutes than shut down again.
Suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2002 goldwing stops

Hi Skippy. I solved my problem by replacing the pulse generators. I did a lot of testing and was able to find the problem when I removed them and did a test when I warmed them up with a hair drier. Replacing them wasn't hard on my 85, just time consuming removing the plastics and radiator out of the way so I could get to them. There is a thread somewhere on this forum about how to test the pulse generators and how to remove and replace them. If you aren't good at remembering how you take something off and put it back on you might consider taking it to a shop if you find the pulse generators are bad. Someone on the forum should be able to tell you where to look on your 2002 to find the connectors for the pulse generators so you can test them before you take them out. They can be a very aggrivating problem to pinpoint. On mine, sometimes I could ride a couple of days without a problem and other days I wouldn't make it out of the driveway before it stopped. I would start there first after checking all of the connectors that are easy to get to. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wildest
Thanks for the response spent a few hours checking switches Sunday did dig into the little beastie and see what I can find on the pulse generators

·
Registered
26 Posts
It sounds like a possibilty of the Pulse Generators going bad. Look in the service manual for the ohms check for the PG's. Test them when cold, then run the bike until it acts up and check the PG's again. Also check the simples things first like all related connectors in the ignition circuits. Also check the battery positive cable and ground connections for corrosion and loosness..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts