Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST PURCHASED THIS BIKE WHICH HAS 65K ON IT. IT RUNS ROUGH WHEN 1ST STARTED, IT ALSO SMOKES. i HAVE TO LEAVE CHOKE ON FOR QUITE AWHILE TO KEEP IT RUNNING. IT RUNS REAL WELL AT HIGHER SPEEDS BUT SEEMS TO SKIP AND RUN ROUGH AT LOWER SPEEDS. I PUT NEW PLUGS IN IT, CHECKED THE AIR CLEANER WHICH IS NEW. i HAVE ALSO PUT SOME CARB CLEANER IN THE GAS TANK. HAS ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ANSWERS THANKS

·
Registered
38 Posts
I JUST PURCHASED THIS BIKE WHICH HAS 65K ON IT. IT RUNS ROUGH WHEN 1ST STARTED, IT ALSO SMOKES. i HAVE TO LEAVE CHOKE ON FOR QUITE AWHILE TO KEEP IT RUNNING. IT RUNS REAL WELL AT HIGHER SPEEDS BUT SEEMS TO SKIP AND RUN ROUGH AT LOWER SPEEDS. I PUT NEW PLUGS IN IT, CHECKED THE AIR CLEANER WHICH IS NEW. i HAVE ALSO PUT SOME CARB CLEANER IN THE GAS TANK. HAS ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ANSWERS THANKS
I would drop the bowls on all 4 carb and clean them. You most likely have some trash blocking a jet. I would also put a see through fuel filter inline and never ever put carb cleaners in the gas tank. It will brake loose any and all trash in the tank and send it right to the carbs. As for the smoking issue, almost all older wings smoke right after they start. Its normally comes off the left bank because the oil accumulates around the valve guides on the lower side when the bike is on the side stand. To lesson the smoking, always put the bike on the center stand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, now I have to find out how to remove the bowls

I would drop the bowls on all 4 carb and clean them. You most likely have some trash blocking a jet. I would also put a see through fuel filter inline and never ever put carb cleaners in the gas tank. It will brake loose any and all trash in the tank and send it right to the carbs. As for the smoking issue, almost all older wings smoke right after they start. Its normally comes off the left bank because the oil accumulates around the valve guides on the lower side when the bike is on the side stand. To lesson the smoking, always put the bike on the center stand.
I now park the bike on the center stand, I will have to figure out how to pull the bowls and the gas filter. I will not put anymore of the carb cleaner in, apparently it didnt help as the bike still runs rough at low speeds but smooths out at higher speeds. Do you think I should see about getting the carbs synchronized? Thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
I now park the bike on the center stand, I will have to figure out how to pull the bowls and the gas filter. I will not put anymore of the carb cleaner in, apparently it didnt help as the bike still runs rough at low speeds but smooths out at higher speeds. Do you think I should see about getting the carbs synchronized? Thanks again
Yes After you determine if the bowls are full of trash, the next step would be it synchronize them. I have done this the hard way. Only because it's all I had. I took a vacuum gauge and started on the carb that the throtle cable connects to. I read the vacuum there and then when back and forth setting each one untill the vacumm read the same on all four. To read the vacuum you have to take out the screws on the low side of the intakes. But take them out one at a time. As I said this is the hard way to do it, but I only had one gauge. The shops use 4 gauges and charge big bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts