Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I bought an '85 Aspencade last summer that I know I will be enjoying more come spring. One thing, on longer rides, both my wife and I noticed that our backsides got sore after a couple hours. Even with a break after an hour or so of riding. The guy I bought the bike from had recently had the seat recovered and I don't know if the problem is that or if it is common to this model Goldwing. I would like to know if others have found the ride painful and/or what can be done about it. My wife tried a gel pad but that didn't help much. I'd rather not replace the seat if that can be avoided. I also don't want to replace the seat only to find out that wasn't the issue! Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
We rode a 1200 ('84) for a lot of years and a whack of miles. and the seat wasn't great out of the box. We finally resorted to a faux sheepskin and that did the trick. We were a tad (?) younger then so I'd likely opt for a different seat now. There's also Walmoart gelpads that lots of the members here swear by ($20!!). Welcome along. Post an intro in the new members section and fillin some details on your profile, pick anavatar if you like.:D

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. I am riding an 84 wing at the moment and would have to say the standard seat is not the best and not the worst that I have had. I do have a Airhark seat, but I don't use it on the wing because it makes me stop and give my wife a break. She seam to cope with the seat better than I do. Shhhh don't tell anyone, but if I was going to do 600 mile day I would wimp out and put the Airhark on. The most I have done in a day on the wing is 450 miles and I am quite happy with that. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
don't know about the stock seat as i have a markland seat on my 1200 wing. try the walmart gelpad before getting a new seat and you might want to trim the gelpad to fit the shape of the seat better

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
I have a friend that rides a 1200. He was complaining about the seat and it had been recovered also. They had just put a new cover over old tired foam. We tried another stock seat and he said it was like night and day.

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
I've never had a 1200 so I can't speak to the comfort of the seat, but my 1800 stock seat is fine. I did go with a Road Sofa seat on my 1500. Both seats have provided comfort for 600+ mile days..

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Welcome archer77 give us more info on yourself we love that kind of stuff, and on the 1200 I did have 3 of them, 2 85s and my last was an 86. loved them all and always used the stock seat with no trouble. Back in 2010 I did a 6k ride from Pa. out and around Beartooth pass and back in 10 days on my 86. I have now moved up to my new to me 06 and yes it is much better for the long ride for me but stay with it and maybe check out the gel the others talk about, and the nice thing is you get to keep riding it to try it out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had the original seat on my 1986 when I got it. It was coming apart at the seams and the foam was worn out. The bike had about 53k miles. I was lucky and found a seat that a guy had taken off his new 1986 and put away. I put it on and wow what a diference. I sit about 2 inches higher and it is a nice ride for a few hours at a time.

·
Premium Member
7,576 Posts
I recently bought a 1985 LTD with an aftermarket Corbin seat. Seat cover is coming apart so I covered with an Alaska sheepskin. I use this seat pad on my Burgman 400 also and find it very comfortable on long rides. Some folks also like the beaded pads which I also have and use in warm weather and find them very comfortable also.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 1100 seat had a cover over it . I only lasted a hour or so. The foam was hard and dried up cover as seen in avatar . I found a original seat from a 83 1100 that was hardly used on ebay for less than a 75 dollars with shipping what a difference .I also have a beaded pad, great in hot weather helps circulation also. cheap 30 bucks on ebay( ok I live on Ebay love the deals)Also on my 79 had a deluxe travelcade seat that was great. about 200 on Ebay . Depends on what you want to spend. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Go the cheap route first and try the Walmart pad and see if that works. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My last Wing was an 84. Had the same problems with the stock seat. Also went to sheep skin, it helped. Now have 96, seat is great, except too low for my long legs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts