Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hi Folks,

I actually thought I would be riding yesterday as the weather was fantastic for riding. :)

God, had other plans for me.

In the past month or so I have replaced the windshield then removed the windshield to put in a windshield vent. Replaced both throttle cables, installed a Back Off Wig Wag system for the Aspencade trunk light, installed a cigarette lighter and an additional power outlet, put a large decorative Eagle on the front fender, a tow bar, arm rests and cup holder for my Queen's throne, replaced my stock speaker grills with grills in better condition, worked on the air compressor system, installed a CB in the left lower fairing, installed a CB antennae mount (CB construction is not complete) replaced the throttle control switch with one that has a cruise control switch (system not complete yet), replaced the left turn signal, etc. switch, replaced the front tire plus other minor alterations/adaptations.

After being in the shop for more than a month I backed her out fired her up and found that I have absolutely NO brakes. It was then that I noticed my right fairing pocket area covered in brake fluid (evidently came from the brake fluid reservoir when I took apart to clean and widen brake pads to go back on wheel it MUST ??? have forced the brake fluid out of the reservoir???) then I walked the bike back into the shop in complete agony, me not the bike :).

My assumption? The front brake pads being off for a month MUST have gotten air into the brake system.

OK let's bleed the brake system I say to myself. Well I absolutely could not even begin to "break" he bleeder valves to an open position. I bathed the two front bleeder valves in PJ Blaster and then tried to loosen the valves after church today. No go! They will not even begin to "break" open.

Any suggestions as to why no brakes and how to bleed the system?

Professor

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you not have any front or rear brakes or is the problem only on one end?

You can often get most of the air out of the system thru the banjo bolt at the caliper. Also keep in mind that the bleeders are best broken loose using a 6 point wrench or a 6 point socket, as thay have a lot less chance of rounding off the sides.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaron,

Thanks for your reply. I do not have any brakes front or rear. I do not know what a banjo bolt is our how to bleed from that point. Is the banjo bolt a name I would find on a parts list? As smart as I would like to claim to be I MUST "assume" that I am using a six point socket as the bleeder valves have never even attempted to round off their edges.

·
Registered
78 Posts
AKA... The banjo bolt is the bolt that attaches the brake hose to the caliper. You can often loosen it up to bleed the air out as with the bleeders themselves.

The difference between the 6 point and 12 point sockets is simple. The points are where the socket contacts the bolts. The six point ones have a larger contact area and are less likely to strip the bolts.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update ... After using the JP Blaster and giving it time to work I was able to bleed my brakes through the bleeder valves. This improved my brakes but they still were not good. I thought that perhaps I had oversprayed JP and it was on my rotors and/or brake pads. I took a 15 mile trip applying the brakes frequently. My thought must have been correct because at times I could smell the braking and now I have perfect brakes.

Now, it's on to the next challenge. Somewhere along the road, since my rebuild, I lost my right side cover. Other than EBay does anyone have any thoughts on where to get a replacement?

I have purchased a pair of new SHOEI helmets and the Scala communication G9 set. Still I like the idea of having a CB to communicate with other riders not equipped with a Scala system. Has anyone attached a hand held mic to an OEM CB system? How does one change the channel on the OEM system?

Per normal, I look forward to your responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts