Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to doing a lot of front end work on this bike (rebuilt the forks, bleeding the brakes, a new tire and fender dressings) I could totally let got of my handlebars and this bike would stay straight and steady.

Since the rebuild my MPG is really bad (220 miles before 160 miles to a tank now) and if I let got of the handle bars with one hand a slight wobble and if I let go with both the bike is definitely going down. Yet, I feel no wobble/vibration when I am properly placing both hand on the handlebar.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if perhaps a brake is dragging - yet I don't hear anything ???

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
Sounds ominous! First off re-check your front wheel mounting (pinch bolts and axle allignment, bearings and all that). If nothing seems amiss there, double check the steering head bearings for wear and torque values. Don't forget to examine the front tire as well and make sure the fork oil is balanced and at spec. Could also be a misallignment of internal parts in the fork(s), although I doubt that. Not sure about the drop in mpg, but could be carb sync and/or rebuild issues, venting, needle/seat etc.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sounds like you got a brake dragging after bleeding them.One of the rotors should be hot after a ride.I would think that you should be able to feel it dragging if you jack the frt wheel up and spin it by hand.You should hear the pads barely rubbing the rotors,but the wheel should still spin freely.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATES:

I noticed the right side axle holder had been installed backwards and was very loose. I reinstalled and tightened to specs. I noticed that the dive setting were not the same. I set both sides to 2.

The next day I noticed the front tire had been installed in the wrong direction. The same axle holder was loose again. I could not break the bead so took the tire back to the same place that installed it. I paid them again to break the bead and reinstall the tire correctly. Brought the tire back found it had not been seated and refilled. I could not get it to seat. Brought it back to the same place and had them seat and fill the tire.

Brought the tire back to my shop and remounted everything AGAIN. However the weather was to severe for a test ride (sleeting and snowing) so I put that off until today.

Went to my shop knowing the bike was road worthy and ready to run.

No Go. It is still wobbling but not as severely. However, after a fifteen mile ride the axle holder is still tight. :)

Back to the "let's try this next board" I guess. :(

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE 4/6/13:

Went to the Church's bike shop today (Again) Put the bike on the center stand placed a lift and a board under the engine and jacked her up probably another three to four inches. Loosened all of the tree screws, removed the brakes, removed the fender and the fender garnish, removed the axle holder, the front wheel and finally the fork stabilizer.

At that point I made absolutely certain that both forks were absolutely level with the fork equalizer (The right fork had been above the equalizer approximately a 32nd of an inch.) Attached the front wheel than held it centered as someone else turned my handlebars left and right a few times then returned them to dead center. I then tightened all six tree screws and removed the tire.

I removed the tire for the sole purpose of ease with the re-installation of the fender and fender garnish, After completing that step I loosely re-installed the front tire and then the brake system and speedometer sending unit. At this point I tightened the axle holder by the service manual technique and specs. Finally the fork stabilizer was installed and tightened.

The result? 98% of the wobble is gone! :) Went home picked up my Lady and rode. We rode the bike to church this evening for our campfire fellowship/celebration and just got back home. The ride was fantastic again.

Now I remember why I love my Gold Wing. Tomorrow ride it to church and then to a GWRRA officer's planning meeting.

I am guessing but I think perhaps the tiny bit of wobble remaining may be a result of riding with the tire backwards so I am not going to worry about it for now.

Thank you to everyone out there who provided me with thoughts, guidance and motivation. :)

Dave H...
Prsofessor

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
UPDATE 4/6/13:

Went to the Church's bike shop today (Again) Put the bike on the center stand placed a lift and a board under the engine and jacked her up probably another three to four inches. Loosened all of the tree screws, removed the brakes, removed the fender and the fender garnish, removed the axle holder, the front wheel and finally the fork stabilizer.

At that point I made absolutely certain that both forks were absolutely level with the fork equalizer (The right fork had been above the equalizer approximately a 32nd of an inch.) Attached the front wheel than held it centered as someone else turned my handlebars left and right a few times then returned them to dead center. I then tightened all six tree screws and removed the tire.

I removed the tire for the sole purpose of ease with the re-installation of the fender and fender garnish, After completing that step I loosely re-installed the front tire and then the brake system and speedometer sending unit. At this point I tightened the axle holder by the service manual technique and specs. Finally the fork stabilizer was installed and tightened.

The result? 98% of the wobble is gone! :) Went home picked up my Lady and rode. We rode the bike to church this evening for our campfire fellowship/celebration and just got back home. The ride was fantastic again.

Now I remember why I love my Gold Wing. Tomorrow ride it to church and then to a GWRRA officer's planning meeting.

I am guessing but I think perhaps the tiny bit of wobble remaining may be a result of riding with the tire backwards so I am not going to worry about it for now.

Thank you to everyone out there who provided me with thoughts, guidance and motivation. :)

Dave H...
Prsofessor
Congrats. Just so you know however, all Wings seem to have a little wobble at low speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts