Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie to the forum, just bought my first GoldWing, upgrading from my 1975 CB-750. For an older bike it has only one big problem: The stereo and one speaker are completely dead. My local dealer lists a replacement system at over $1400 if they can find one, and it would be a cassette deck player. Heck, a new CD player with all the warm and fuzzies is only $150 at any box store... Anyone figured out how to install a newer system in an older bike??

By the way, awesome forum you guys run!! Already found several suggestions to help improve my GW, and can't wait to get started working on it!!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

It can be done, but you will have no intercom.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello loren, welcome to GWOF. as cantankerous said " it can be done " but it requires some mods to fit

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Newbie to the forum, just bought my first GoldWing, upgrading from my 1975 CB-750. For an older bike it has only one big problem: The stereo and one speaker are completely dead. My local dealer lists a replacement system at over $1400 if they can find one, and it would be a cassette deck player. Heck, a new CD player with all the warm and fuzzies is only $150 at any box store... Anyone figured out how to install a newer system in an older bike??

By the way, awesome forum you guys run!! Already found several suggestions to help improve my GW, and can't wait to get started working on it!!
I was thinking it would be worth a try. Spray all the contact on the end of the radio and down in the seat where the radio sits with electrical spray. It got mine working.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Stereo - Update

Hey Loren, There is no problem in updating your stereo with a newer model - but what you'll find is that the depth of the fairing opening will limit your selection. If you remove the factory stereo and take your bike to a stereo store they can make some model recommendations. Once you know what you're looking for, start shopping on Ebay. There are lots of good new and used units around.

One other potential issue is (like Cantankerous mentioned) you'll have to work something else out if you want an intercom.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. There is a guy I know in a local stereo shop so I'll stop by and see him. I was kind of surprised that my dealer didn't offer any solutions other than trying to find an original for replacement. They have no other suggestions at all. And I honestly don't care about the intercom, my wife doesn't like to ride so I'm pretty much solo all the time. I did try cleaning the connections with electrical contact cleaner and a brush, but nothing changed. Then I discovered that the dead speaker is actually broken, one wire has been pulled off of the speaker cone, so no way to fix it.
Thanks again!!
Loren

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
LorenR keep us posted on how you are doing. I finally got my stereo upgraded on my 85 Wing once I bought my 08. Dont forget we love pics! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.