Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had problems getting my 85 to run right after taking it out of storage for the year. I have removed the carb assembly three times now. The first time I just cleaned the jets, the second time I completely disassembled the carbs and soaked them for a day in carb cleaner, and the last time I took the carbs and had them ultrasonicly cleaned. Unfortunately the bike still runs the same, sounds like its running lean, backfires through the intake sometimes. If I partially choke it it seems to run ok, leading me to think it is a lean mixture situation. So while running it this last time I plugged the port in the air box that supplies the air cut off valve and the bike runs fine. After researching the web I ran across an article from Sabre Cycle stating the air cut off valve can cause the very problem I have. So I removed the air cut off valve and can't find anything wrong with the diaphram. Although the spring seems to be quite heavy for vacuum to pull it down. Some on forums say the cut off valve closes the slow jet air passage which creates a richer mixture to prevent backfiring when decelerating, but I never noticed any backfiring when decelerating while driving. I'm quite sure I have a lean mixture issue but don't know where to turn. I'd gladly change the cutoff valve diaghram, but I don't think its defective. Can anyone offer advice. Do you think if I just plugged the port in the intake box it would run properly?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I would check the fuel filter.

Did you sync the carbs????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
carb problem

Sabre Cycle states a lot of problems with the carbs is the air cut off valve. I ordered a kit to rebuild mine. With the new diaphram and spring in it takes 18" of vacuum to close the air cut off valve. Would an 85 Goldwing create 18" of vacuum? Seems like a lot to me unless there would be more vacuum at a higher rpm. Anyone with some experience with this?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Unless you can check it a monometer or something I rreally can't say how much it will draw. But if it's in the specs in the shop manual I'd say it's correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts