Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm Ben and new to the forum as well as a new (used) 85 GL 1200 Interstate. My first ever Wing and man I love it!! And to boot a pretty clean bike at 25 years of age, 53,000 miles. I want this project done by March and ready for the summer. I'll be pulling most all of the aftermarket stuff as I'd like to make the bike as much original as possible EXCEPT for my charging system it'snot putting any voltage at all at any rpm. I was by trade a mechanic for ford for around 30 years, so I know wrenches and tools, a big plus in my mind here.

The motor on the bike looks pretty easy to pull with the sub=frame Honda offered on this model, should I decide to go back with a new stator but from what I'm hearing and reading these stators seem to go out a lot in 84-87 models. So I'm thinking of going ahead with the mods needed and do the "Alt. Conversion Kit". These conversions I think look pretty cool and down the road should it go bad, it would be a much easier fix. I have acess to a welder, all tools needed (Pretty sure) and I live in a very small town with lots of auto salvage yards for parts like small brackets and the Alt.

So what my question is, does anyone know the cost of the kits offered on the net?
And what do you think? which way would you go? Either way will be done cleanly and with much care.

I'm looking forward to someone saying, Nice Bike! and be able to say thank you, that bike's 25 years old!!:D

Thanks everyone and Happy NEW YEAR!!!!

Ben

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a lot of info on web on this subject. There was a posting here, I think in the last week. Google it, I think it was something like "Poor ' ? ' Alternator". Maybe some here will help out, can't remember exact name.

·
Super Moderator
15,003 Posts
don will reply to your email, just give him a chance. when i emailed him he replied back in a day or two

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Ben . I have experience with both removing the engine and replacing the stator and a poor boy alternator set-up. I too was a auto mechanic (look at my profile), In my opinion replacing the stator would be the easiest and most cost effective way to fix the problem. The reason it burned up was proably the battery went bad and overworked the charging system. There is a Aftermarket stator availiable and the job to pull the engine isn't too bad , I mean it's a lot of crap but if you are a little set up ,air tools etc , you can do it in a afternoon. The poor boy alternator drives a alt off the camshaft via a belt which looks cumbersome and the cams are too slow to spin a alt that are supposed to spin fast ,Think of the pulley sizes on regular cars. I'll look for the stator and get back with you. Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Ben heres the site for your stator .http://www.electrosport.com/products/product-detail-416.php . I don't think those wings had a gauge or any warning light . I had this problem with my 96 , when it shut down dead at a intersection with no voltage and several hundred miles from home. I got a compufire alt for my wing it's a 10 minute job to replace one on a 1500. After that I installed a heads up voltage monitor I bought from chrome world. It's a small led that is green at 12-15v yellow 11-12v red 10-11, flashing red below 10v ,flashing green above 15v ,About 40.00. Real simple to install and i don't want to look for a gauge while my gps is connected to the internet via bluetooth. No distractions please im ridin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only one i ever saw ran off the back of one of the cams of course the crank would be way better . I saw a post about how long a stator should last and my answer is the life of the vehicle. Honda put too small of leads coming out of it and they burn up when the battery goes bad and overdraws the system. The stators work fine on my 1980 atc's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ben , I an intrested in this topic because several years ago i was intrested in a gl1200 before i found my 1500. I knew about the stator problem from 20 years ago from a friends wing and researched the problem before buying another bike. I didn't want you to think im some nut . The aftermarket stator says 350 watts thats 29 amps at 12v. A lot for a cycle but not with a bunch of aftermarket stuff or anything heated. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Ben , probably a good weekend to do it . Last weekend I pulled apart my wing to install the wiring kit to incorporate my garmin zumo into the radio/intercom on the bike. Nice to have bluetooth so i can answer phone while on the road. Let us know how it goes. Rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do the alternator off the crank. youll thank yourself a million times over. Since you have the tools and welder you dont need the kit. With a bit of measurement and junk yard looking around you can find the pulley you need for the crank and run a v belt of you want. We did my buddys 84 interstate with a chevy sprint alternator coverted to one wire hookup, v belt, made the mounts etc for about 75 bucks includeing the alternator 2 years ago. He rides all summer and most of the winter on the bike instead of driving a car plus several long trips. Still on the same belt and nary a problem. And you cant see it unless youve had it pointed out to you. I still have the stator on my 85 ltd since its fine and I can get it home on a long trip by pulling some bulbs and using a small battery charger I carry anyway. If and when it goes (nothing lasts forever) itll get the conversion like my friends.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No nothing, the fairing does a decent job by itself and even in a car the alternator still gets wet from road spray. Only thing we did was the three prong plug at the back of the alternator that you dont use after the one wire hookup conversion to the alternator we filled with clear silicone to keep water out of it. He does ride in the rain snow whatever whenever and water to the alternator has never been a problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,794 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa and congats on your new (2 u) Wing. Ride safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sure , the stock stator would put out about 25 amps. But don't worry about overcharging . An alternator only puts out amps to keep the charging system at a specified voltage . So it only works as much as it has to. My wing originally had a 35 amp alt and i changed it to a 90 amp when it went bad. The only thing i had to do was replace the main fuse to accept the larger alternator,(this was in the kit supplied with the alt).

·
Registered
32 Posts
It lasted about 30,000 mi. I run a lot of accessories and have heated clothes so i wanted a bigger alt plus i found out a compufire was cheaper than a stock honda alt . Plus compufire will rebuild one of thiers for about 150.00. I understand 1500 wings have the same alt as a 95 ish saturn sl1 , just the drive and the front housing are different. I have heard too about 1200 stators going bad from bad connection in the plug . And that they should be soldered directly together (hard wired).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.