Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the 84 Aspy is still running hot. Will not redline, but stays 1 bar below. Never did that before. There are about 4 bars between normal and hot. If you are not familiar with the 84, it has the led dash instruments. The temp gage lights up another bar for each mark moving toward hot. The fan kicks in after 2 bars above normal. Not sure when it is supposed to kick in. Have thought to change the thermostat as the bike sat about 8 months when the stator went out before I fixed it.

I was thinking...Sometimes a car will overheat due to a bad or failing radiator cap. Wrong pressure... Could this also be the problem on the wing??? If so, where and how would you test it other than replacing it?? I would much rather change a cap than a thermostat.

I have the bike sold, but will not give someone else the problem, so I need to get it fixed before he picks up the bike. I just hate to tear it back apart after just putting in the poorboy alternator conversion. Still looking for something simple. It is running straight antifreeze in it, and is full. The fan is much larger since the conversion, as it has a 10inch auto fan on it externally now. Any ideas about the cap??

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
The Goldwing cooling system is the same principal as what is found in automobiles, so I assume problems found in auto can be found in Wings. Radiator cap could be one of them, air or blockage in the system are others...

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
You need a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water. The cap could be bad or there might be contaminants keeping it from sealing properly. My 84 runs normally at four bars and the fan kicks in whenever it is in traffic.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had a problem with my 1986 overheating in traffic, almost redlined. I was on a mini Vacation in Maine after my Mom passed away. The only recourse I had at the time was to bring it to a shop and have them give me a flush!! Well l have to say I was skeptical about whether it would work or not but it was working fine after that and does not go above 1/2 on the heat now!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to first do the flush with the distilled water, put the new Honda fluid in it, change the cap and see what happens.. I have already ordered the thermostat but will save changing that as last resort. Hopefully won't be required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts