Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 84 aspencade this last fall to replace my 82 wing.the bike just turned 100k.the prior owners took very good care of it.all previous owners wrote in the owners manual when they had something replaced,how many miles were on the bike and why.they even went as far as to detail trips in it.the question i have is what are some things i should be looking over on this bike?stator was done at 30k.head gaskets and belts at 90k.other than the obvious brakes/tires and so on.Is there anything else you guys would check over?also,what weight oil would you recommend?there is a little valve clatter at first untill the bike builds oil pressure.thanks in advance for the help.

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF mrj85, oil 10w40

·
Registered
123 Posts
Probably done when the stator was replaced, but check the three yellow wires to make sure the connector has been removed, or replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sold mine ( 84 Aspencade ) with 187,000 miles on it and the new owner is still riding almost everyday and trouble free. Had a new stator at 90,000 miles with new no mid connection wiring harness installed. That was the only problem it ever had. Ride them forever...........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably done when the stator was replaced, but check the three yellow wires to make sure the connector has been removed, or replaced.
Thanks for all the reply's.I took a look at the 3 yellow stator wires and the plug looks good.Should i just remove the plug and hardwire them together anyway or leave well enough alone?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cut the connector out and solder the wires together - it's an easy fix and not worth taking the risk - trust me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
oldsmores is right,don't chance it this is one of the most common problems.Corrosion starts in that connector which translates into heat buildup from resistance to the current flow making the alternator work harder and heat builds up. For the sake of the Alternator solder the three yellow wires,tag them first so you don't get them mixed up since they are all yellow, its a highly recomended bit of preventative maintenance.

-Robert-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts