Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum and I am looking for help with finding a good part number for the front crank seal for my 1200. It is leaking quite a bit and needs to be replaced. I worked on the PCV system as suggested on another site but I might not have gotten it all fixed.

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
91201-MG9-005 OIL SEAL (35X59X8) try this number.

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
Hello and welcome, from all the way over in Spokane Valley! :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
91201-MG9-005 OIL SEAL (35X59X8) try this number.
trike lady; There was quite a discussion on another site about this seal. The one for the 1200's is discontinued, this # is the exact same seal...except, it has small ribs that are directional, one guy said he did a lot of research and that seal is a 1500 part. Ok, same size..so?

He was thinking because the 1200's crank rotates clockwise..& the 1500's are counterclockwise that that seal may leak. His point was the ribs will direct oil out of the seal, instead of in as designed.

I may not be explaining it right,but, the ribs are oriented in the opposite direction on the proper 1200 seal. Do you think this is a valid point? Or just over thinking the problem?
Just want to know for my own interest.:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
welcome Bruce! Bladeruner that's an interesting thought, I'll mention that to my Honda tech when I ask about the valve train on the 1500's.

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
The ribs should run parallel with the edges of the seal and not direct the oil in any direction, just keep it in the engine.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, before I got my '88 I got 3 of those seal to have on hand..I have 2 1200's. When looking closely at the ribs, they are definitely directional..they "spiral" for lack of a better term, kinda like a helical cut gear.

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
Well, before I got my '88 I got 3 of those seal to have on hand..I have 2 1200's. When looking closely at the ribs, they are definitely directional..they "spiral" for lack of a better term, kinda like a helical cut gear.
I stand corrected. I guess Honda has a better idea. If it keeps things going for as long as a Wing does, it must work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts