Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My GW had a stator replaced about 10K miles ago and the bad plug cut out and three yellow wires hardwired, soldered, and well wrapped, It is putting out about 13.9V at 3000 rpm when engine cold , but after a good 30 minute ride and engine heats up to normal , voltage is dropping down to about 12.6 or so , Is this normal? could stator be going bad after the wiring fix? thanks for any advice

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi twhite. 12.6 is a little low unless the engine is idling. should be 13.2 or above at 2000 rpm's, the charging system break even speed. we can talk you through a complete charging system check if need be.let us all know an good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I check the stator , it has 48v AC on each 3 yellow wires , wondering how to check the regulator , also I read somewhere the main fuse can act up when hot , It seems after a ride and engine is good and hot , it's not charging , but is fine when cold.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi twhite5262,
Did you replace the regulator when the stator went out.Mine on my 84 Aspencade went out also.It was recomended to replace both at the same time.I deciced to go with the alternator conversion kit instead of doing replacement of the stator and regulator.I did some study and the stator replacement had mixed results.I wish you well and hope that you get it resolved quicky.I getting my conversion kit put on tommorow and hope for good results.I guess their is no sure thing when it comes to charging issues and 84-87 goldwings.I wish I had more information for you as I do feel for you.
Thanks,
Donald Lang

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi twhite. sounds like a bad reg/rect. the reg/rect unit has two circuits, one for initial charging that works for about 4-5 minutes an the main circuit that operates for the rest of the ride. charging voltage does not go through a fuse to the battery. an aftermarket reg/rect runs about 100.00. be careful of a lot of additional lighting over stock on the gl 12s. good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts