Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the electrical three wire conector from the alternator is getting very hot (smoking). Charging voltage is between 14-15 volts. Stator checks ok. Anyone had this problem and a fix?

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
cut out the plugin connector and solder the wires together or at least disconnect the plug and clean the connectors

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I had found info on removing the conector and soldering the wires. I will be doing this and hope that is the only cause of the hot condition.

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
do the same for the connector to the rectifire

·
Registered
38 Posts
Noticed the electrical three wire conector from the alternator is getting very hot (smoking). Charging voltage is between 14-15 volts. Stator checks ok. Anyone had this problem and a fix?
Hello From La. I own an 84 GL1200a and had the same things going on with my bike. I cut out all the plugs from the ignition switch to the stater plug. After going through 3 stater in 3 years I read on line somewhere that the voltage regulator was what was burning out the staters. It took Honda Corp. 25 years to figure out. If you change the Voltage Regulator now, you will save your self a big headache. Cutting or cleaning the plug will help, but it wont fix the problem. GLWingnut

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 85 1200 Limited Edition I just bought this last year and is my first goldwing.I started having the same thing with mine. I noticed it by loosing voltage this week. Went from 13.5 -14v to 11.5 - 11.9 - 12.1v. Pulled cover and found stator plug so hot couldn't hardly touch it. How many volts is the stator supposed to put out on the average? Is there a good free website to find a parts breakdown on goldwings (like a clymers manual wwould be?)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 85 1200 Limited Edition I just bought this last year and is my first goldwing.I started having the same thing with mine. I noticed it by loosing voltage this week. Went from 13.5 -14v to 11.5 - 11.9 - 12.1v. Pulled cover and found stator plug so hot couldn't hardly touch it. How many volts is the stator supposed to put out on the average? Is there a good free website to find a parts breakdown on goldwings (like a clymers manual would be?)
Clean your plug and then change your voltage regulator. It is sending bad signals to the stater causing it to over heat. You can buy one from Rick's motorsport electronics inc cheaper than any were.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was going to say regulator. Its just about the same as in a car. You could either drop in voltage so that nothing runs or your voltage could spike and start to fry A LOT of electrical components overloading them with current making the problem a lot worst then it is. Either way, put a multimeter on to see how much current you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts