Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the story and i'm sure you will all hate me because this involves me "dropping" my bike. Was hauling a can of gear oil on the back along a highway the can blew off went to pick it up and the bike fell over while running. Picked the bike up and it didn't start with starter. Tried to "bump" start it next and that didn't work. Tried removing the spark plugs and dropping into 6th gear to no avail.

Bear in mind this bike was running and full on oil when it fell over. I have it in the shop right now but the mechanic i am having it fixed by is an idiot i think and i may just try and fix it myself.

Any thoughts guys as to why it would freeze and how to fix it? I'm scared to hear "new engine" because it was my first day of owning the thing and from what i have seen engines are far from cheep even that old.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
By 'freeze', do you mean it won't turn over at all?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No won't turn over at all. When i try and use the starter it sounds like it tries to start it but engine won't turn over.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
How long was it on it's side? Did it turn when you tried the bump start?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was on it's side a few seconds till i could get it up and it did not turn over when i tried to bump start it about 30 seconds later. The throttle did not remain open when it tipped over the engine died almost instantly when it fell.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Is there any physical damage on the engine case?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No visible damage. Also took the top of the case off above pistons and everything looked ok there.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Is there a bank angle sensor on your bike like there is on the Goldwing??

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I would love to help, but can't make cents or dollars out of what has happened. For a motor to lock up, usually means some thing like a valve has dropped and locked the piston up from getting to the top of the bore. If this was the case if you put it in gear and pushed the bike back a bit the engine would turn a bit until it got to the top of the bore again and came against the valve again. A drop shouldn't have anything to do with that. A motor may lock up if it has no coolant or oil. A drop will not do that. The belts could break and have the valves met up with the pistons and lock up the motor. A drop shouldn't do that. On old car's a starter can lock into the flywheel. A hit with the hammer can release it. I don't think this will be much help but they are my thoughts. Eric

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But would that cause the gears as well to stick when bump starting? If so that wowould make sense. This all is so confusing to me. Please if anyone has any idea at all about it or thoughts feel free to post. One thing I did note as odd was when I was trying to bump start it was very hard to get the bike in gear. I had to hit the shifted 5 or 6 times to get into any gear with or without the clutch engaged.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
I assume it fell on the left side?

What does it do when you pull the clutch in and try the starter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No it fell on its right side on a slightly downword slope onto some decent size rocks. There are scraches on crank case but no dents. Fall broke mirror off and turn signal. Fall was only from bike to ground no great hight.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Is there any damage on the cylinder?

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
The only other thing is if it pushed the clutch cover in against the clutch pack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the mechanic i took the bike to at long last got his act together and took a look at the bike. He turned the crank lever i think? he took off the crank case and turned that and popped it loose but now there is a rattling inside. he thinks that when i purchased it that there were already shavings in the bottom of it and that is what stopped the motor from turning and whatnot. at least that is what he thinks. he has yet to drain the oil and fix the bike.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Hello all, I'm an asshole, so you'll all understand the following.

sounds to me like you got taken or theres more to the story. but i do have to ask, as a mechanic and a shop owner why are you dogging the mechanic? did he call you or did you ask for help? is your vehicle the only one there? its obvious to me by reading your posts you dont know your a_ _ from a hole in the ground. yet you feel the need to dog this guy. me as a shop owner, i charge 50% for stupid and 75% for arrogance. keep that in mind when you see your final bill. just a friendly tip. good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya there is more though i didn't state it on here earlier. he works on any engine and both my bike and truck are in his shop and have been for over a week now. i have been calling every few days and he states "oh i have people who want the car done 'now' and that is why i haven't gotten to yours" so when i say this about the mechanic it's not just because of the bike but he keeps giving me lame excuses on why he has not gotten around to it. Though at this point i really do wish i would have just taken it to a bike mechanic because they may have been able to tell me right away what i had to do but it is what it is.

·
Banned
2 Posts
i see. so you are telling me he should drop existing "appointments" to cater to you a tow in. im assuming your a tow in. so why dont you go get it and take it elsewhere?

As you can see from my wonderful posts, I'm a real piece of work and my shop went out of business within a year!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.