Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History, I bought this bike a year ago. I have cleaned the carbs, replaced tires battery and even the starter. I had to have the gas tank boiled and spot welded because the previous owner let it sit and did not care for the bike at all.I have a loud thump in the engine that is sometimes there and sometimes not, but only at a low RPM.

Now to the problem, a few months ago before the replacing of the starter I started having problems. I here the click but the starter would not turn over. Check the voltage and there would be voltage on the start. I have taken a hammer to my old starter and to get it to work but that does not work any more. 2 or 3 months after I put the new starter on it started doing the same thing.

I'm at a loss now and I'm not sure another starter or pull the engine and rebuild the starter clutch

Thanks for any help
Johnathon

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
First off, welcome to the site jb. Sorry your first post has to be a problem. I'm not a mechanic but I'll do some diggin in the service manuals and see if I can find something inthe troubleshoot sections. In the meantime there's way more tallented members than I that might just have an idea or two.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello jbmorris, welcome to GWOF. don't worry we'll get it figured out so lets try to getit started before moving on to the thumping sound

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and like the members of this forum, they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have worked on vehicles for many years and I have found the the definition of NEW is NEVER EVER WORKS check the starter replace with a NEW not rebuilt Honda Starter if at all possible but test the new starter before installing it. That is if you find that your starter has in fact failed.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
It sounds like you might have a bad solenoid. Try bypassing it with a jumper cable. The old starter might still be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will not start, more information

I have worked on this problem for a long time before I have come to the point of asking for help. When it started doing this it was like a low voltage at the battery so I tested and then wife bought a new battery even thou the old one showed 12.4 at the time. That some what fixed it for a few weeks and then it started again. When it started to acted up I could push the bike off and then be going down the road and just go to neutral and try to start it a few time and then shut the engine off and try while coasting. I have had to do that 2 or 3 time and that seem to fix it for a few months, then it was replace the starter and that seem to do it for a few months, then I put the old one back on because the new one quit and would use the hammer. Hay work great even quit having to use the hammer for about a month. I have over halled the starter and tried everything short of screaming at the bike.

Normal I would agree, battery or silond but have tested and jumped all the parts between battery and starter. When I try to start the GW I get the click, try again and it might turn over a few times, or it might just click again. Do this a few times and I might get the starter to turn over at speed to start the bike or not.

Hope this extra information help.

thanks
johnathon

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Have you tried running a jumper from the negative side of the battery to the starter case? There have been others with the older Wings that have grounding issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you might look at the cable its self just like a car starter cables get corroided inside and go bad so you can have week power to it its still 12v but not enough amps

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a starter like that. It finally just quit turning over the engine. It's not very hard to take the starter out. Take it out, connect it to a power source. It will probably run quite nicely. Then take a piece of wood like a broom stick and push it down on the cogs of the drive gear. If it slows down and stops, then your starter is bad under a load. If it keeps on running cheerfully even with the pressure on it, you know you've got a good starter.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the stator. Is it putting out good voltage when the revs get up to around 3,000? If it isn't, your battery could slowly be going dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I have cleaned the cables, jumped the battery to the starter and also added a extra ground to the starter and that still did not fix it. Going to check the battery and alternator tomorrow after I push start the bike again.

Right now I'm looking for a starter in my budget as I know that I have to change it also as I broke one of the ears on it that you holds the top to the bottom. But it was still working after that.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Johnahton

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.