Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 years and 15,000 miles on my Rebel, I'm moving up this Spring to a Goldwing. To me, this is quite a leap. I originally intended to get a Shadow 750, but couldn't resist this deal.

Does anyone have any advice on the difference in handling, weight, etc. I would certainly appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF ronaldD. what year wing are you looking to get? the 1000 wings are around 600 lbs, dressed 1100 and 1200 about 720, 1200sei and ltd about 770, 1500 and 1800 wings are up in the 770 range too and all wo gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife's uncle is a mechanic and recently purchased a 2005 GL1800 and offered to sell me his 1983 GL1100. It has around 35,000 miles and is in incredible shape for a bike that is nearly 30 years old.

I ride 30 miles to work each day and the Rebel just doesn't do well on the hills in the area and have been looking to trade up to something with more power. I started riding five years ago and have logged 15,000 miles on my Rebel, but the idea of jumping up to an 1100 is a bit daunting. The Goldwing weights twice what the Rebel does.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the forum Roland. Yes there is a big difference in weight from the Reb to the GL1100. But the secret to Wings has always been the fact that they carry their wieght so well. Since you are dealing with family, why not see if you can get some actual seat time on the 1100 and see if it's manageable for you? The first GL I rode was a friends '83 Interstate, and the largest bikes I'd ridden until then were my Norton 750, and my two CB750's. No trouble at all with the bigger Wing, but my other bikes weren't Rebels either. If you can, find a quiet parking lot or similar and try the Wing out at slow speed maneuvers (just like in a training course) etc BEFORE you venture out into the mean streets. Once you feel confident with all that you should be fine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went from a 66 Honda dream to a 75 gl1000, then on to the 98 gl1500. I was a bit worried about the difference in size each time but found that the bigger Honda bikes handle really well and are well balanced. After the first few minutes, I was comfortable each time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 20 years plus off a motorcycle I bought a 98 1500. Looks like a real sweetheart in my garage, about 2 feet of snow outside yet. I will take a course in April and another once I pass my exam. I am really hoping it handles as nice as everyone is saying.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i had been off bikes for about 11 years and got my 450 nighthawk then got the 1200 aspencade three weeks later. i might have put 125 miles on the 450 before moving up to the wing. both 750k bikes were in the garage but needed work and i wanted something i could ride like now

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I went from a 650 to a wing and could not tell a big difference,But there is getting use to it. take it slow and everything will be good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a tough time riding the smaller bikes than the larger ones. My Valkyrie handled so well my son took his drivers test on it rather than his Magna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts