Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an 83 gl1100 and it was doing fine until 2 weeks ago when it started getting hot, bogging down and dying, will not start back up until completely cooled down. I replaced the fuel pump and its still doing the same thing, I can't continue to throw parts at the problem. Any insight guys?

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like an ignition system problem. I know the 1200s would act that way when the pulse generators were going bad.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Are you talking about the bike getting hot or the weather. If the bike, how hot did it get? Did it overheat?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
That eliminates a thing or two. I always listen when Eric speaks.

Reactions: Slimtat

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hey Slimtat – If you have eliminated a lack of fuel to the carbs, kinked fuel line or a plugged fuel filter, your symptoms do sound like it might be an ignition or electrical issue. How long have you owned the bike before it started acting up ? The 1100 GW had a vacuum line connected to the pulse generator housing that helps adjust the timing according to RPM and throttle opening (load). It’s been a while since I came across this problem but if I remember correctly a faulty timing advance mechanism and/or a disconnected vacuum line did cause the 1100 I was working on to suddenly begin to run hot.

Keep us posted - Michael

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Discovered a crack in the left coil, going to replace the coil pack and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for the advice and hopefully the cure.
Hopefully this is your problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hey Slimtat - How long had your bike run properly before the problem began ? Have you been able to determine the reason it bogs down and dies ? Just a thought, but I was on a cross country trip one time when I suddenly had something similar occur. It happened right after I'd filled up with a tank of water contaminated gas. Luckily I was just barely able to limp into the next town. Once I'd siphoned out the bad gas - a fresh tank of fuel had me back on my way.

Good Luck - Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts