Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up an 82 Goldwing this weekend. The motor is out of it. Previous owner removed it to fix a starting problem. Here's what he tried.

Engine would start to crank and then stop cranking. Replaced battery. No fix. Removed starter and starter solinod and replaced both. First time he tries it, it starts like brand new. Goes for a ride and shuts it down. Same original issue, no start/crank. Removes engine, removes starter and has tested where he bought it. They inform him that a diode is bad. They give him a new one. With engine on stand, new starter installed, tries jumping the starter directly, same issue exists. Still no fix.

Any ideas or suggestions. I got the bike for a song, cause he got so frustrated. Also, with the engine out, should I do any other stuff, while I'm there. It has about 70000 kms.

Thanks in advance!

Russ

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania and congrats on your new (2u) Wing. I'll defer to the guys with more experience with older wings. Where is home for you. Ride safe and enjoy the site...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome!

I call Woodslee, Ontario, Canada home. Really looking forward to picking up my first "Wing". Haven't ridden for almost 20 years! Yikes!

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Welcome from Down Under. Lets say that there is no problem with the starter because of what has been all ready done. My thought would be that it is a earth problem and I would try putting a jumper cable from the battery earth to the closes point to the starter to get the best earth. Then try to start it. If no start then place a second cable to the live side of the battery and touch the live side of the starter solinod. I hope this fixes it. If it dose then with the engine back in the bike frame run a extra earth from the battery to the base of the starter motor. Best of luck. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello russ and welcome to GWOF

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hiya Russ. sounds like you have enough advice to start on right now; btw earth = ground. Theye spakes differnt down unda roight?

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Ya talk funny

Budoka yah people north of the borda talk a bit funny. I try ta talk ya lingo but sometimes as well grounded as I am I wil use a different type of lingo than ya. I get confused with some lingo like: we go to a service station to get petrol for our bike not gas. Gas we use for the BQ or we cook with it. Then we go in and pay with cash in dollars. You go in and pay with cash in dollar bills. Our bills are gas bills or phone bills. Then ya drive around the hood. Our hood is up the front of our car. We have right hand drive and therfor drive on the right side of the road. Ya all talk with an accent not us. We are so far in front of ya that we have gone to bed before ya get out tar bed. I wil stop now before ya all get confused. LOL. Love to catch ya in the traps one day .Eric

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
No worries mate, I understand the Aussie lingo pretty well. We all do our share of messin up the words. Can't figure out why ye droive on the wrong soyd a the road tho, 'ceptin mybe cuz the steerin wheel's on the wrong soyd th' caa.:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now you are starting to sound like a bunch of Irish looking for a liquor store in Bangladesh; pretty soon you'll be looking for some benz for your CZ's.

Change the starter to a new one or run an additional thick ass negative cable from the "accumulator" to the frame

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Welcome from NC.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Budoka yah people north of the borda talk a bit funny. I try ta talk ya lingo but sometimes as well (now you use the word grounded. how come your not earthed?)grounded as I am I wil use a different type of lingo than ya. I get confused with some lingo like: we go to a service station to get petrol for our bike not gas. Gas we use for the BQ or we cook with it. Then we go in and pay with cash in dollars. You go in and pay with cash in dollar bills. Our bills are gas bills or phone bills. Then ya drive around the hood. Our hood is up the front of our car. We have right hand drive and therfor drive on the right side of the road. Ya all talk with an accent not us. We are so far in front of ya that we have gone to bed before ya get out tar bed. I wil stop now before ya all get confused. LOL. Love to catch ya in the traps one day .Eric
Eric,
you don't know me but I read your posts and glad you are a part of this. Diversity makes any place much more interesting. Don't change your lingo, we take bets guessing what you're saying.
And by the way, don't want to be caught in a trap with any of ya until I know what a trap is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome from Kansas. Sounds like you got your hands full. I just recently bought me a 84 aspencade but the one owner took extremely good care of it so no wrenchin yet for me. Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Eric... budoka, myself and several others are from Canada which you will notice, don't have accents. Now our southern friends in the US of A, tend to speak with a bit of a drawl the further south you go.
As for the traps, I'm with love2ride....up here we have bear traps, but I'm hoping that's not what you're referring to. :eek:
Ride safe mate,
Strat

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Don't forget the sand traps Stratman (oops, sorry Astor123)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Right budoka. My mind is stuck on bear trap, as I have a black bear on my front lawn as I type. We have apple trees that pull them in at this time of year.
Strat

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi fudster. is the starter motor still running an not turning the engine over or is the starter motor dead an making no noise?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts