Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a new (to me) 82 wing interstate. I am planning on going thru it this winter to find things that could be updated. And I was hoping some of you seasoned wingers could point out some things that could be updated.

I have been around bikes most of my adult life and so I kinda know what to look for. And I have the tools to do just about any thing on the bike. but I was hoping for more bike specific things.

I am gong to re due the front fork seals. I didn't notice and front bearing head shake before I took the bike off the road. But I was planning on looking at the head bearings. I am also going to put new belts on. And I will be changing all of the fluids and the break pads too.

I also heard about the main connector on the wire harness for the stator that it needs to be looked at and possibly hard wired to avoid the stator from prematurely failing.

So are there any other suggestions that the seasoned wingers might have that would be a good upgrade. Keeping in mind that I am not into all that fancy chrome and dodad's that some people want to add to the wing. Stuff I typically add are purely functional things like extra fuss box, extra break lights.

So all suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance for your words of wisdom
Dave D.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Dave, Welcome to the forum from Pa. Since I've got an 1800 I'm not much help to answer your questions, but there are a number of early Wing riders on here that I'm sure can help. It's good that you are handy with the tools. As for me, I think I know where mine are.... maybe. Ride safe and enjoy the forum...

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
You've pretty much got everything covered, you may want to lube the cables and new tires if they haven't been replaced. Replacing incandescent bulbs with more efficient LED's in the running and brake light circuit. If your Wing has a 7" diameter headlamp you can upgrade to LED's there also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1100 gold wing updates

Thanks for you quick response.

I like the idea for replacing the std bulbs with LED lights. there brighter and use a lot less energy.

Thanks for the suggestion

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
but you have a stator which puts out 100% if its power all of the time and while you may save a watt by going with led lights the excess electricity produced by the stator is converted to heat by the rectifier. and and hello dave, welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
If you're thinking about adding a pair of 55 watt driving lights and other lights to enhance visibility, LED's are the way to go for the other lights. Charging systems aren't very big on older bikes and you have to do a 'give and take' with lights. I had a 1988 HD Bagger and I had to crunch the numbers when I added lights, it ran both LED's and incandescent bulbs.
It was actually easier to change the bulbs then to get into the engine and change out the charging system.

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. It looks like you have just about everything covered. I would put some Seafoam through it.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome along adecooda! Good folks and info here!:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi All i am going though a 1982 I found in a barn , I email that place you told me about, trike lady thanks see if they get back to me I haven't road in 25 years but it is like ridding a bike ? you never forget , got this Goldwing running yesterday after rebuilding the carb's
it run's like a bear, need to replace brake's and hoses and should be ready to sell then it is time to look for one more to work on , fun is ! after all airplanes won't fit in the garage

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seafoam is a addittive you put in gas. My boat mechanic told me about it. He told me it doesn't get rid of water ,it just helps burn it.you can use Seafoam or Stabil. Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Seafoam is a addittive you put in gas. My boat mechanic told me about it. He told me it doesn't get rid of water ,it just helps burn it.you can use Seafoam or Stabil. Welcome to the forum.
seafoam can be added to you oil before doing an oil change to clean the gunk inside the engine

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
So I have a new (to me) 82 wing interstate. I am planning on going thru it this winter to find things that could be updated. And I was hoping some of you seasoned wingers could point out some things that could be updated.
Dave D.
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new ride. I had a 82 GL1100 before this bike for a few years. Great dependable bike. All I did was the usual maintenance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
help from my new friends

Yogibear1100 & detrbuzzard thanks for the Sea foam suggestions. I typically use Stabol for the same reasons that you suggested

Larry in Seattle thanks for the suggestion on the tires. I was think of replacing them for the same reason. Better to be safe than sorry running down the highway 300 mile from any ware.

Thanks for your suggestions
Dave D

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Registered
21 Posts
New winger

I have been around bikes most of my adult life and so I kinda know what to look for. And I have the tools to do just about any thing on the bike. but I was hoping for more bike specific things.

I am gong to re due the front fork seals. I didn't notice and front bearing head shake before I took the bike off the road. But I was planning on looking at the head bearings. I am also going to put new belts on. And I will be changing all of the fluids and the break pads too.

I also heard about the main connector on the wire harness for the stator that it needs to be looked at and possibly hard wired to avoid the stator from prematurely failing.

So are there any other suggestions that the seasoned wingers might have that would be a good upgrade. Keeping in mind that I am not into all that fancy chrome and dodad's that some people want to add to the wing. Stuff I typically add are purely functional things like extra fuss box, extra break lights.

So all suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance for your words of wisdom
Dave D.
One thing i dont see anyone saying always use good oil , honda or rotella works very good i restore older wings and i have so many that the owner thinks the starter clutch is bad and sells the bike (To Me) cause the starter is acting up they may have to push the start button 20 times to get the starter to in gage , i change the oil and sell there bike for $2000 more then i paid for it !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts