Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having clutch slippage when i give it to much gas, as in passing. the bike has 75,000 mi. how difficult or what is the cost of a new clutch rebuild? ci=ould it just be an adjustment?
thanks for any help you can give

·
Registered
201 Posts
When was your last oil change and what oil are you using? The wet clutch plates can slip if the oil is old or the wrong viscosity. Quite
a number of times I've seen an oil change and the right oil fixing this problem. I may get flack for this but I've seen synthetic oil users
changing back to regular 10W40 and curing this clutch slip problem,saw it first hand last summer on my friends 1200,his clutch slipped when pulling hard on the hills. He changed to Hondaline 10W40 and it no longer slips.20W40 or 20W50 can be used in extremly hot temps. Sorry if I offended the synthetic oil users but I saw this first hand, this is not just hearsay.Could be the older 1100 and 1200 clutches are more sensitive to the oil than the 1500 and 1800 clutches,maybe the clutch plates are tougher for the extra power on the 1500 and 1800 drivelines.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
use a motorcycle specific oil. if your clutch is going out the only recourse is to replace the clutch plates

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch slippage goldwing

i am having cluch slippage on 82 goldwing. it was recomended to check my oil and i am wondering if cables strech or is there an adjustment besides the one at the handle for the cable? how do you check adjustment?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts