Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've posted. My first post back in Feb was just finally answered this past week. I knew my computer was slow, but I didn't think it was that slow. Anyway, didn't go with that 82 i asked about, but now I have found another GW. This one's an 81 and it's stated to have only 16K on it. From the pictures it looks clean, but at 16K, I have to think it's been sitting for a long time and that worries me. Owner says it runs and drives fine, but I'm waiting for him to come back and offer some specifics on what or if anything has been done the bike. As for the worries, what should I look for or expect to go wrong, since I feel it's been sitting? The asking price is $2900, which is way over book, but I'm somewhat hesitant on this one. Any opinions, before Thanksgiving (LOL).:D

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... DISCO ... YOU NEED TO PRESS THE OWNER FOR ALL THE INFO. AND HISTORY ABOUT THE BIKE YOU CAN GET ... ASK IF THE BELTS HAVE BEEN CHANGED ... IF THE TIRES ARE OVER 6yrs. OLD GET NEW ONES ... OTHERS WILL ADD MORE INFO. ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
make sure that the bike is charging, him an offer for the bike

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
As for what could give you issues. Hmmm let me think. Well the obvious has been stated already, however might I remind you that it is almost 30 years old so I would say you need to decide if it is worth some trouble. That being said the low mileage is a good thing. If you are a mechanic by trade & have some time to go through the process you would no doubt have a Sweet ride with some TLC applied.

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's. I'm really kind of gun shy on this old of a bike with that kind of mileage. I've asked the present owner and he did state that the bike had sat for a fairly lengthy time period. He said that he went through the bike and it runs fine. I've asked him just what was done when he went through it and I'm waiting for his reply. I had a 79 GW years ago and it was the best bike I ever rode. Have had more than my share of bikes since then, but GW's just seem to hit a nerve. I currently have an 01 VT1100 Shadow with 14K and it's not a bad bike, but it's not a GW. I'm just wondering if I should just stick with the Shadow or look further into this GW, if the necessary things were done to it. We're talking my Shadow for his GW and $1000 cash. Opinions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
look for one thats less of a project. first is your vt1100 in need of repair? i see 1100 wings around here going for between $1000 and $3000

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Remember Disco you asked for opinions, It seems to me I'd be looking at least at an even up trade, I mean you would be dropping 20 years. I'm a Wing rider but I don't think they are that much more than a cruiser when you get to that age.

If I was you & the bike "didn't call me" I would look around. D.D.B. is right there are Wings out there you just have to have a little patience & look around.

Just to give you an example, My brother just recently upgraded to a 1500 & He is in the process of cleaning up & putting new brakes on his '82 Wing to put it up for sale it has 70+k on it with some comfort goodies like Tulsa windshield, superbrace, progressive suspension & custom saddle & he is looking to get around $2,500.00 for it.

Just my OPINION

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
look for one thats less of a project. first is your vt1100 in need of repair? i see 1100 wings around here going for between $1000 and $3000
Nothing wrong with my VT1100, just remembered that the GW's ride is more comfortable. I'm just using the book stated values on the bikes, to gauge costs.

Remember Disco you asked for opinions, It seems to me I'd be looking at least at an even up trade, I mean you would be dropping 20 years. I'm a Wing rider but I don't think they are that much more than a cruiser when you get to that age.

As to the trade, he's looking for the even up trade (apparently he's tried to sell it outright and had no takers) and I'm using the book values to seek an additional 1K from him. As for the age difference you eluded (not much more than a cruiser), I think you are correct.

As to it "calling me"...........I think it's just whispering at this point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got an email and this is what was done to the bike.........NEW WATER PUMP, CARB KITS, NEW BACK TIRE, CHANGE THE OIL, NEW FORK SEALS, AND
NEW BATTERY......................It's gone up a notch from whispering...... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
My mistake I thought you meant you were giving him the additional 1k. Take the baby for a ride and see if it actually starts having a conversation with you.;) Then try and get him to go to 1500.00 & your bike. Back down to 1000.00 if you have to. Remember you said he has had not takers, he would not have done the work to it if he wasn't eager to move it. Opinions, Opinions, everybody has one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna take a pass on this bike, for the following reason. This guy contacted me first with the reference to a possible trade. My bike was posted for sale on Craigslist, so that's where he saw it. Since we live 100 miles from each other, I asked him to meet me halfway and he balked at that suggestion. I figured that would have been a reasonable position to see if his bike was really road worthy, but as I said, he wants me to do all the leg work. I even suggested we meet at a local police station or off the interstate at a state police location/weigh station, since he stated he was not comfortable doing "business" on/off the highway. This just gave me a shot of bad vibes, as to the bike is now very questionable in my mind, if he used that excuse to not drive it 50 miles.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it......Thanks for the replys. :D

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
WOW, What a difference in the thread now. If I knew all that I would have told you the 1st time to walk away.

Listen this is real simple. You look around you find the bike your comfortable with, you part with the bucks, you stop screwing around & you go riding with a Wing.

See how easy it is.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"WOW, What a difference in the thread now. If I knew all that I would have told you the 1st time to walk away."

Well, If I knew all of this before I posted, I wouldn't have!...;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's been quite a while since I've been here. Just got a friendly reminder to come back and visit again, so here we are.

That GW that was the discussion item is still for sale as of this date. The guy is asking way too much or there is something big time wrong with the bike. Even though I stayed with the VT1100, put saddle bags and a trunk box with the windshield, plus floorboards, it's still not a GW and I constantly keep looking for a GW. Do me a favor, lets compare engine/trans wise a 2001 Shadow VT1100C and an 80's 1100 GW. I have my own pros and cons, but I'd like to hear somebody else offer theirs and see if they match.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts