Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Developed a short in an 81 I bought to refurb. 31k on the motor which is sound. Have put 2k on the bike in the month I've had it. started and ran like a charm till last evening.
The short seems to be in break handle ground which activates the brake light. Had to push start it and ran really rough - backfired etc - last night but the headlamp was dim and not enough juice for the blinkers to work or the temp/fuel gauge to work. When I tapped the break handle it ran smooth, light/blinker and gauges worked. No fuses blown. Have the fairing, seat, tank cover and side off. Pulled the battery. Put it together and no power.

Thoughts. . .

Happy Thanksgiving,
Jim
West Plains, mo

·
Registered
24 Posts
EGremlins

Elec probs can be the most mysterious to figure out. Look for the easy (and most probable) stuff first. Like shorts due to pinched wires and corroded terminals. an open to ground(no ground) can give all kinds of weird symptoms too. Start out with a good battery/charge. If you dont have one, get a small multi meter(a digital one)and get familiar with how to check voltage and resistance/continuity which are the three most used tests that you can do to diagnose elec troubles. Know that sooner or later everybody that works on old bikes goes thru the EGremlins. Good Luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bad ground some where.
If you tapped the front brake handle and things straightened out, then try disconnecting the wires going to the brake handle and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will update

Thanks for the help. I'll get on the trail tomorrow. Be a good weekend project and I'll post an update when I'm done. . .

jm

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll see if I can drag up a wiring diagram, both my bikes are GL1000's and the wiring is even different for them. One is a '76 and one is a '78.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wiring update

Thanks for the information. Here is the update:

Started with the simple stuff as advised by just patiently - and as much as I could access - wires and followed them through. Then soft brushed and used a compressor to gently brush and blow around any connections. I put in new fuses even then none were blown, they just looked old.

Found two probable shorts. One at the brake stop light switch - loose connection - and an exposed wire leading into the vetter fairing. Fixed those, put all of humpty dumpty's pieces back to together and it runs like a charm.

Next job which I'll do in mid-winter is pull the motor out and apart to replace the old gaskets with new ones.

Apprecite you all helpling me with this.
Merry Christmas,
jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good Show!

I was just getting ready to go through the different sites I go to to see if I can find wiring diagrams.

If you don't have any leaks, putting in new gaskets may not be necessary. How ever it will give you something to do and get you outa your wifes hair.

One thing to do is change the timing belts.
If you didn't see the Previous Owner (or P.O.) put them on, then just figure they may break at any time real soon and replace them before they do. NAPA has belts that will fit, but I don't have the part numbers handy. Get Gates belts if at all possible. And the radiator hoses should probably be replaced also. You are most likely going to have to remove the radiator to get to the timing belt covers any way. There is a hose available that if cut in half will do both upper and lower hoses at the same time. Getting this stuff from Mother Honda can be about twice to three times as expensive, if they even have the parts you need. Try to find cross-references for the parts to get the numbers before you go to buy the stuff.
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts