Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent months rebuilding a 78 gl1000 that has been in storage since 1985. I have finally come to the end of the build yesterday. Turned on key, grabbed clutch, and hit the start button. The dash lights dim but nothing happen. So I turned the kill switch to the “off“ position and the bike immediately started cranking. I have a brand new fully charged battery and the “on“ part of switch just won’t engage the starter. I tested the spark with kill switch “off” and there was nothing. So it’s not like it is somehow switched around. Any help would be very helpful! Thanks.

My neutral light seems to be on regardless of what gear I’m in.
Also I had a vetter set up on it that I removed. So there is two plug ins that went to the lights that are not plugged in. If that helps diagnose the problem.

One more update hoping someone here can help. When I put a test light to the switch in the “off“ position, it lights up bright. In the “on” position the test light is super dim. So it’s getting some sort of power.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
You say "build", what all did you do to it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You say "build", what all did you do to it?
Oh yeah I should have elaborated on that.
I rebuilt the carbs, put in new head gaskets, new valve seals, replaced 2 valves, new timing belts, brand new battery, and new fuel lines.
Besides unplugging the 2 vetter plugs, cutting the rear blinker lights wires, and cutting then reconnecting the neutral switch. I didn’t touch any of the electrical system.
I also took out the kill switch last night and fully cleaned it. Still no change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts