Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle gave me his old bike a few months ago, I don't really know much about hondas.. I know it has not run for about 16 years, when he stopped riding it was for health reasons so it wad in good condition.. I'm thinking of setting up shop and trying to get it to run again, not sure what I'm getting into.. Probably thinking of just putting a motor in off eBay. Any ideas for what would be a cheap replacement.. And any advice on the project, like I'd be better off just scraping it for 200 and buying a 71 cl450. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

If the bike was stored correctly, you should be able to change oil, put a battery in it, put some fresh gas in it and start it. If it wasn't stored correctly you will have to repair or replace the whole fuel system before anything else. The engine should be ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know Honda makes the best engines in the world, I'm glad to hear that one person says the engine will be ok.. I hope it is..

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pa. If you are a "wrench guy" the Wing would be a great restoration project for the winter. GL1000 were very good bikes in their day. You are probably looking at replacement of most rubber hoses, cleaning of the fuel system and tank, checking belts, flushing all fluids, new battery, tires and possibly some work on the stator. A lot to do, but with time, sweat, proper tools and a good manual you can have a great bike. You will get a lot more enjoyment out of the Wing than a CL450.

Biggest thing will be if you have to replace any parts, but there are a lot of places and folks selling parts for older bikes. Let us know what you decide and good luck.

Oh, and if you update your profile information we will know where you call home.. Ride safe and enjoy the forum...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome Splinter, and good luck on the project; considered a GL1000 myself before I got the RC. By all means update your profile, pick out an avatar and maybe toss in a signature. Any probs just give a shout:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello sc, welcome to GWOF. seeing that your uncle is giving you the wing if you can swing it get the 450 so you'll have something to ride now. then you can take your time reviving the wing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you thank you.. Looks like I'll be updating my profile, the jumping into the bike this winter, if you guys think it's possible I'm going for it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. and I think it would be a great project for someone good with tools. I thought the 1000's were great wings....I still miss mine (75). Enjoy the forum, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got around to bringing the bike into the shed and taking it apart... started with opening the tank to see what im in for.....

rust and corrosion all over the place...

now im feeling way down.. im in for a long long ride right.. probably just replacing the whole fuel system..

also figured out the bike has not been run since 2001. and it has 60,000 miles on it. should i just scrap the project?

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Actually it's a great restoration project, parts can be found if you know where too look and it will be nice when it's done. I wouldn't give up on it, its a great project.

·
Registered
89 Posts
scrapping the project would be based on a few things
1. What does having an old wing mean to you?
2. Is the bottom line cost of major importance?
3. How good of a mechanic are you?
4. Do you have the skills to do all the work?

If you can justify "no expense spared" to finish the job, and you feel something about the bike..can do the work, I would say go for it.
If it is just a bike, not into "restoration projects", then I would sell it off to someone who would enjoy the challange and do it right. Then go buy you a running wing if you want a wing.. and spend your time enjoying the ride.
just my 2 cents...

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
got around to bringing the bike into the shed and taking it apart... started with opening the tank to see what im in for.....

rust and corrosion all over the place...

now im feeling way down.. im in for a long long ride right.. probably just replacing the whole fuel system..

also figured out the bike has not been run since 2001. and it has 60,000 miles on it. should i just scrap the project?
I go back to my original response. If your a wrench guy that Wing would be a great winter project. Get a good shop manual and that will give you an idea of the difficulties you may encounter.

If you decide to go ahead with the project here are some things that you will need to do. First take the tank off and have it drained and cleaned inside. All fluids will need to be drained, filters replaced and carbs will need to be checked. The tires will need to be replaced and any hoses will need inspection.

Early Wings are great collector bikes and great road bikes if you have the time and talent to keep up with them. Ride safe and good luck on your decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts