Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blow oil when I am running. No oil leaks when resting. Leaks out the bottom of both sides of the engine. Drips on the pavement and splashes on the saddle bags.

I have replaced the valve cover gaskets. I have adjusted the valves. I have rebuilt the carburetors.

1976, 65,000 miles. Unknown how long it sat before I got it.

Do I need to replace the head gaskets? Or a complete teardown of the engine?
Thanks,
krash

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the oil coming out past the exhaust gaskets on the bottom of the heads? Sounds like maybe the rings are leaking a lot if that is so? Have you done a compression check (throttle wide open)? If you have not ridden it much yet, I would replace the timing belts (interference engine), then add some Seafoam to the oil. Run it for a 100 miles and then change oil again. What oil do you use? I use Rotella T 15-40 deisel oil.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the oil is coming out while the engine is running you will still be able to see the oil marks when it stops. First clean the bottom of the engine with some gasoline, wipe it dry, and you'll see it. If the hole is at the centerline of the engine casing it would leak all the time, if it was coming from the exhaust, it would smoke, so the other 2 places are heads and the oil filter can. If it's the heads, pull the gasket out and lay in some silicone in the gasket groove on the cover and on top of the flat part of the gasket, screw the cover back on and let the silicone set for few hours. If it's the oil filter can, get this :
http://www.randakks.com/Engine Parts.htm#1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

It is not the oil filter. I hadn't thought of the exhaust gaskets. I did replace them a year ago, but have not checked the compression. I will do that.

I assume seafoam is like Yamaha's ring free? Blows all the carbon buildup out thru the oil.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks.

It is not the oil filter. I hadn't thought of the exhaust gaskets. I did replace them a year ago, but have not checked the compression. I will do that.

I assume seafoam is like Yamaha's ring free? Blows all the carbon buildup out thru the oil.
K,
you said that it's spraying all over your bags,...Take some detail pictures of it and email it to me at [email protected] and let me look at it.

For Seafoam, Wal-Mark has it for like $6 but Seafoam is only ok if you had the bike sitting for 30-60 days, otherwise it does nothing. All the wanna-be mechanics think that pouring a few oz. of some crap will take care of it. Bullshit !

Check out some heads on eBay, they are cheap, get them and lap the valves yourself, check the guides and replace them if needed, and you'll have some brand new titties.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.