Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "barn find" 75 is torn down, engine out, and i'm in the middle of the "bringing back an old Goldwing engine," a la posted by someone on this forum, and have a few questions. The bike sat for 30 years outside under a tarp. There has been rust in plenty of places. I may end up replacing the engine, of course, depending on what happens when I try to start it in a few weeks. I've replaced the timing belts, had the starter checked out by a shop (it was good), rebuilt the carbs, floated the engine for a few weeks in oil/kerosene. The fuel pump I'll check out when the engine is installed, before hooking the hose to the carbs. The fan works, I had the radiator cleaned and pressure checked, it's fine. I've cleaned and sealed the tank. New hoses all around. Ignition system checks out, new points, timing set. Two things he doesn't cover I wonder about: should I worry about the water pump, maybe take it apart and inspect it? What about the valves - should I take the valve covers off and check the valve clearance despite the fact that I'm sure it's going to look ugly in there and perhaps the valve seats are crapped out and would affect the clearance until it starts and blows out the crap...

Registered
Sounds like you've been very busy at this bike. After all the work you have done so far it would be a wise decision to replace the water pump and any gaskets associated with it. 30 years is along time to be sitting around idle. I guess you can wait to see what junk my dislodge from inside the chambers once it cranks and runs. you may have to remove the exhaust pipes and shake them out to rid them of whatever blew into them. Isn't restoration grand.馃檪

Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
Wish you luck.馃憤

Administrator
I hope you took pictures. Good luck on your restoration.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I took lots of pix. It's been a terrific project during the pandemic when I've been home bound anyway. I brought the frame into my basement workshop just across from my office so when I get bored with my job I can tinker with the resto.

Actually the most challenging part so far has been the electrics. I put in a new wiring harness because the old looked awful and had been spliced into for the fairing and other after market junk. I went for cafe racer style gauges, lights so getting that hooked up right was a challenge, made more difficult but gremlins that took hours to test every stock component and that, in the end, turned out to be a bad alternative lighting unit, which was a birch to trouble shoot, and in the end my salvation was to do the Clymer's bypass jumper wires.

Rebuilding the brakes was also hard and times consuming, and I almost broke down to buy new master cylinders cause the ones that sat outside in the rain for 30 years just wouldn't free up, but in the end, patience and chemicals did the trick. I did have to replace two of the three calipers that were so pitted as to be unsalvageable.

Now, I'm feeling a bit like a guy who's been buying lotto tickets in hope for the big win, and the drawing will be that day when I fire it up, not knowing if the engine will be good or junk. At that point, I'll need to consider of I have the gumption to rebuild it or find a replacement.

It's been really fun, all in all. My only past resto experience was a 72 triumph trident, and I'm way more impressed with the 70's Japanese engineering!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts