Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want to ask you experts your thoughts on having dealer perform is it worth it or is it just a 500.00 oil change what exactly do they do?

·
Registered
50 Posts
just want to ask you experts your thoughts on having dealer perform is it worth it or is it just a 500.00 oil change what exactly do they do?
500.00DOLLARS!!!!holy crap get another dealer...NOW!!!you should be able to change your oil ten times for that kind of scratch!!Plus,I'm told by knowlegables on this site the 600 miler is not needed.Check your manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
500 was just tongue and cheek not a quoted price from the dealer just being sarcastic just want to know what 600 mile service is or if it is necessary

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
500 was just tongue and cheek not a quoted price from the dealer just being sarcastic just want to know what 600 mile service is or if it is necessary
It would be hard to find any veteran rider here who would agree that a 600 mile service is necessary, and if it is it should be given as a free courtesy check by the dealer ; they are the ones who assembled the bike at their shop. I got the same line when I bought my 1300VTX. The salesman recommended that I return in 600 miles for a check up ( ? ), for $175.00. This was my first bike in 20 + years, but something just didn't smell right about this " service ". I drove away and never looked back. Is this little scam peculiar to Honda Dealers ? We all have the same stories. Hmmmmmmm.......

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm picking my bike up next week and the dealer is already talking about bringing it back for its first 1000km service. Maybe they are trying to get back sum money that they lost in the deal. Having said that i do believe that a new bike or car should have just a oil and filter change only at 1000km and that should be a small cost, if not then do it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm not trying to defend the dealers here, however you have to remember that they are a buisness & that when they can perform a service & get paid for it they will take that oppurtunity. It is your responsibility to see through the b.s. & determine what works for you. Case in point when chopin just didn't go back for it. In this day & age with the internet sales, ebay, & craigs lists I certainly understand that the dealers are stretched to the max to match pricing so it stands to reason that they need to look for revenue in other areas (ie service). Again not defending the action just adding one ole fossil's perspective.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought a new 1800 in September. The service manager is a friend of mine. I asked him about oil changes and what they did on the first service. He suggested an oil and filter change at 4,000 miles. He said most of the first service is about checking to make sure everything is tight and adjusted properly. I told him I could change oil/oil filter, and I check to make sure components are tight every time I clean the bike. He said no problem. I checked with a VERY reputable independent repair shop and they said just about the same thing. Mine will get new oil and filter at 4,000 miles and probably a synthetic blend oil at 8,000 miles. Be safe.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It shouldn't cost that much for the 36,000 mile service when you need the valves adjusted and all the fluids changed. . Run from that dealer, there is no 600 mile service required on a Gold Wing. Tell him to show you in writing where that is required. The only thing they do at 4,000 service is change oil and check a lot stuff, If it makes you feel better change your own oil and final drive fluid at 600 miles but that's all you need to do.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a problem with Honda wanting me to spend around $200.00 to make sure they built the bike properly. When I replace the Green Wing perhaps the dealer wil drive it around then do the 600 mi checkup before I buy it. I grew up in a bike shop and I swear if a customer had a problem at 600 miles my Dad would take care of it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If you have any worries about what to service and when, do like I did and buy the Honda Service Manual. The complete maintenance schedule is posted in the maintenance section. Nowhere does it say you have a 600 or 1000 mile service recommended, mandatory or otherwise. I know of dealerships in our neck of the woods (not only Honda stores) who try and get customers to bring back their atv's for a 'mandatory valve adjustment' after break-in too, and that's something that comes out of the south end of the northbound bull! Doesn't exist. Like mentioned before, run from these guys and their lies. Bottom lines in dealerships are shrinking, but to resort to crap like that... what a load of bunk!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts